Can't get XY to work

Hi, I’m using a Mac with El Capitan with the XY plotter.

When I open mDraw, I’m able to select the port and connect to the board and I can set the Pen Up and Pen Down parameters. But that’s it, the steppers won’t move. I’ve read here that it might have to do with the power supply (I’m in the EU and the power supply that came with the kit has an US plug), I’ve use a plug adaptor with no luck.

Any hints? I’d hate to have an almost 400€ (299$ + customs) brick sitting in my desk…

Have you flashed the firmware to the board first? Without that the plotter won’t be able to do anything.

Hi @Bleky, I’ve just uploaded the Orion firmware to the board and now I can’t even move the servo. If after that I hit the “update firmware” button in mDraw I’m able to control the Pen Up and Pen Down again…but not the steppers.

That is weird,are the LEDs on the stepper drivers on?

No, they’re off :frowning:
Could it be a power issue? The power adapter that came with the kit has the following specs:
Input: 100-240V 50-60Hz 1A
Output: 12V 3A

As far as I know this shouldn’t be a problem in the EU, but I’m not 100% sure.

Power shouldn’t be an issue,I use the same adapter on 220V too and it works without issues :thinking:
Might be a stupid question but did you set the power switch on Orion to ON? :grimacing:
If even that doesn’t help,the adapter may be faulty then…

Yes…I turned it on :sweat_smile:

The adapter did make a strange sizzling noise the first time I plugged it. Maybe it’s dead…I’ll have to try with a new one.
I’ll get back to you tomorrow once I’ve tried the new one. :muscle:

@Bleky it turns out that the power supply was dead, I’ve just bought a new one and it moves. :muscle::muscle::muscle:

Now I have new problems…:disappointed_relieved:

When using mDraw, the extruder moves way more than expected. For example, double clicking in the canvas area to 70x70mm moves the extruder to almost the center of the X and Y axis. So, almost twice the amount it is supposed to move in each direction. Any ideas on how to fix this?

In addition…mDraw quits unexpectedly from time to time when loading SVGs and in the middle of drawing.

Hi Guardabrazo,

For the issue that it always moves more than expected,please make sure that you have set the Microstep Resolution on the two stepper motor drivers to HHH when using mDraw software (pull the white switches on each stepper motor driver to HHH). Please refer to the following picture:

For the issue that mDraw quits unexpectedly from time to time, what’s the operating system of your Computer?
Besides, what is the language settings on your computer?

I’ll try changing the microstep resolution, thanks.

I’m running OSX El Capitan in Spanish.

Welcome!
For the issue that mDraw quit while loading svg image, please try save the svg image to English path on computer.

What do you mean when you say saving the SVG image to English path?

I’ve also tried loading the example SVGs included in the user guide download pack and they load OK but mDraw quits when drawing.

Below is an example of English path: (I assume that we save the images under file Program Files of Disk D)
D:\Program Files

If our example svgs work but the others doesn’t, I suspect the svg models you download not work properly with mDraw.
It is suggested to generate the svg file according to our instruction which can be downloaded from this link.

Then find the red marking instruction which introduce how to generate the proper svg images working with mDraw software.

For the quite issue when drawing, first, make sure you are using the latest version mDraw v1.2.2?
If it is already is but still the issue, you may try a Windows computer (Windows 7 or above with 64bits) to control the XY plotter, there are both mDraw software and benbox software support the Windows Computer.

Where can I find the latest version of mDraw?
I’ve tried with different SVG images in the same path and some of them will load, some of them won’t.

I’ve also tried under Windows in English but the SVGs won’t load.

And it is still quitting randomly when drawing.
Awful software, I regret buying the XY in the first place. Too bad I can’t get my money back.

Give Benbox a try since it supports servo too (Laser Engraver Software Update for XY-Plotter V2.0&V2.02——BenBox 2.12.45)
mDraw crashing is nothing unusual,I had this happen too as it is really buggy.
The product was nicely imagined tho but the software is really bad…

Sorry that the latest version of mDraw software for Mac is version 1.2.2 which can be downloaded from this link.

The SVGs won’t load even with Windows in English, could you please send us the svg files for testing.

Besides, for XY plotter, we have Benbox software for Windows computer, it is suggested to use Benbox software instead of the mDraw.