Self-Balancing button greyed out

Hi folks, I got the Makeblock mBot Ultimate 10-in-1 off of Amazon. After some success with other robots, I decided to try the self-balancing robot.

I followed the instructions at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-GeuMh5LO8 though they don’t have any instructions on how to operate the app - I did find these pdf instructions:

Up until now I’ve been happy to use the mBlock iOS app to connect and control robots. But I didn’t find any way to activate “self-balancing mode” there.

I installed Makeblock - which seems much simpler, but for some reason the “self-balancing” text at the top is grey, and the joystick does nothing. See image here: https://i.imgur.com/XRnAW6v.jpg

Anybody know what might be wrong?

All the other troubleshooting posts I found seem to have the robot somewhat self-balancing. Mine is just sitting there. I checked in mBlock and the gyro seems to be putting out correct readings, and in Makeblock I am able to control the wheels with the directional arrows. Just the joystick and self-balancing seem to be not working at all.

Any ideas?

Make sure your device is connected, and try switching between live and upload modes.

Thanks for your time,
Best_codes

I think that the self balancing codes are in mBlocks default Factory Firmware for MegaPi - so try reinstalling that first.

Up until now I’ve been trying to use iPad apps. Because @Best_codes said to try upload mode - I did, and noticed an error message - “Upload mode not available for this device in mBlock app. Please use your computer to upload programs”. So the idea of using other devices came up. Using Makeblock on my Android Pixel 5 - the self balancing robot would balance! Big win! Sadly, the joystick still didn’t do anything. But at least the robot was balancing itself which was nice. Going back to the iPad, the robot still didn’t enter self-balancing mode, so it wasn’t a program that was uploaded to fix it. It’s probably just Makeblock software bugs :frowning:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.