Makeblock ultimate 2.0 robot with gripper upgrades

Hello.

1. I used 3 x 18650 batteries for power supply. That’s cca 12V. Speed of the robots went from medium to high.

Used the batteries for a year on four makeblock 2.0 ultimates and didn’t have a single electrical issue.

1. Gripper hand. I found that gripper hand can’t reach the floor if assembled like in instructions. I have tilted my gripper 45° towards the ground and fixed it with a long screw so it cant move so it can reach the floor and pick up crazy stuff in the streets.

2. Gripper issues: getting stuck. If you squeeze the gripper hand to maximum it gets stuck and want open. The easiest way to unblock it is to push the open button in short intervals large number of times. If that doesnt work (than you sqeezed the empty hand too much) using the same button pushing intervals WITH a clokwise rotation ( FROM THE FRONT SIDE OF THE ROBOT) of the plastic cap (with your hand) on the gripper screw will definitely unjam the gripper.

I believe there are two solutions. Never squeeze an empty hand to the max, and the other i haven’t tried jet: using the code to increase the force of opening the hand.

I have controlers so i will probably assign a code to the button that has higher openning speed to unjam the gripper. And maybe program it to do the tapping like in the hammer drill.

1. Protection of the board.

When you rotate the gripper hand 45° to the ground and go all the way down than the hand pushes on electronics board with high force and it will eventually do some damage.

The solution is to install a long beam from one side to the other that limits the downward movement of the hand so it doesnt reach the board.

1. Backfall protection.

Ultimate 2.0 falls to the back a lot. If it doesn’t fall all the way you can lower the hand all the way and go backwards and it will 100 percent get you up.

But if you fall all the way there’s no getting up.

Thats why i suggest installing two long beams that will prevent the possibility of flipping on back. They should be connected with a cross beam.
Not tested.

1. Add ons. Ultimate 2.0 robot with the gripper is amazing and you can print a lot of add ons.

I 3d printed a ball roller, something like a snowplow that rolls the ball infront of it.

Also, i added a hook for plastic kids dumper truck in the back so i can drag it as storage behind.

I also printed a part where i put a metal shaft in and use it on the top of the hand as a stick.
I have designed it for Craoatian chivalry game : Sinjska alka.

1. Advice. Bolt the wheels with nylock nuts. They tend to fall off a lot.

Tighten everything because the screws fall out a lot.

I have more than thousand hours and hundreds of hours teaching kids with ultimate 2.0 robot.

The end: this is an amazing robot and for its price it needs just a little care.

I have found it’s purpose in workshops for kids that collect trash from playgrounds, beaches and where ever.

Also, i plan to design a polygon that will use objects and obstacles and problems to be solved like seesaw with a weight, and you need to put rocks on one side to lift the gate on the other. Like a maze.

If anyone wants pictures how to make some of these improvements or any advice, feel free to reach me at robert.petrusic@proton.me

Also, you guys from makeblock, if you are working on 3.0 i will gladly give detailed instructions on solving these problems in exchange for 25 mm motor main gear that a kid has broken and i cant find replacement for.

Update 1.1
If you dont plan to use the encoder for motors, remove the plastic encoder caps. The black ones on the end of the motor. They often yam if you use the robots outdoors. Didnt notice any filth going in the motors or any problems without them.

Dont really know if this is safe but i have used them for a year like this and everything is ok.

@RobertUltimate2.0 Do any of these things help you? I don’t have an Ultimate, so I can’t help you much.

https://support.makeblock.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500003548142-Program-Ultimate-2-0-in-Arduino

@RobertUltimate2.0 This is an automated AI response. Verify important information.

It sounds like you’ve made some impressive modifications to your Makeblock Ultimate 2.0 robot! Here are a few key points and suggestions based on your experience:

Power Supply

• Batteries: Using 3 x 18650 batteries to supply around 12V seems to have worked well for you, increasing the robot’s speed without any electrical issues.

Gripper Hand

• Reach: Tilting the gripper 45° towards the ground with a long screw to reach the floor is a clever solution.
  • Stuck Gripper: To unjam the gripper, you can try:
    • Pushing the open button in short intervals.
    • Rotating the plastic cap clockwise while pressing the button.
    • Avoid squeezing an empty hand to the maximum.
    • Programming a higher opening speed or a tapping motion to unjam it.

Protection and Stability

• Board Protection: Installing a long beam to limit the downward movement of the gripper hand can prevent damage to the electronics board.
  • Backfall Protection: Adding long beams connected with a cross beam can help prevent the robot from flipping over.

Add-Ons and Customizations

• 3D Printed Add-Ons: Your ideas for a ball roller, a hook for a dumper truck, and a stick for the Sinjska alka game are fantastic.
  • Nylock Nuts: Bolting the wheels with nylock nuts and tightening all screws can prevent them from falling off.

Community and Support

• Workshops: Using the robot in workshops for kids to collect trash is a wonderful initiative.
  • Polygon Design: Designing a polygon with objects and obstacles for problem-solving sounds like a fun and educational project.

Replacement Parts

• 25 mm Motor Main Gear: If you need a replacement, you might want to contact Makeblock support or check online forums and stores for compatible parts¹².

If you have any pictures or further advice to share, feel free to reach out. Your contributions could be very helpful to others in the Makeblock community!

¹: Makeblock Forum
²: Makeblock Help Center

Keep up the great work with your robot projects! If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask.

Yes, it all helps. Thats why i shared it. For others to use.

@RobertUltimate2.0 Sorry, I got mixed up with another post I was reading. :sweat_smile:

If the problem is solved I can mark this as solved or as documentation. Thanks!

Advices when using ultimate 2.0 robot with gripper. It would be nice if i could get comments if someone else has upgrades too, not instantly close the topic.

Hi @RobertUltimate2.0

You may find the following sheets of use:

I have read it before. Thank you. I got some trouble while trying to program the solution. Maybe you could help. When i add something to the code i wrote my robot starts going all the way. So if i raise the ar the arm goes all the way, and i can’t fix it. Its a normal add to the code, logical and nothing complicated. It feels like there is a bug, and everything is updated. I use mmakeblock controler.

@RobertUltimate2.0 I’m not fully understanding this post. Is this an informational post or do you need help?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.