Can't reset default programme....or update firmware, or set firmware mode

Hi,

we’re still fresh to this…everything ran from bluetooth out of the box, but we’ve now run one programe from arduino and now can’t reset the default programme.

In fact, from ‘connect’ there are 3 grey’d out options, so we can’t update firmware, reset default programme or set firmware mode.

At the moment this means we can’t run do anything!

All help and suggestions gratefully received.

Thank you

Alfie

@alfie,

You may need to connect via USB to get those items to become available.

How to find Your Comm Port

Good Luck,

Mike

Hi alfie,

Yes, as mddickey suggested, you need disconnect the Bluetooth connection, then connect USB cable and connect the correct serial port for the USB connection first when you want to reset default program… or update firmware, or uploud program.

Please be aware that wireless program with 2.4G/Bluetooth connection can only do program online debug and you have to be disconnected from 2.4g/Bluetooth and be connected with the USB cable if you are planning on uploading programs to the mBot for standalone operations

The 2.4G/Bluetooth wireless connections allow you to use the mBot firmata to send commands over the air from the computer via Bluetooth or WiFi, but you must have the mBot connected via the USB cable if you wish to upload programs to run unattended on the mBot. The reason is the Bluetooth and WiFi modules cannot use the onboard programmer that is required to load the program into the mBot’s memory. When a program is “uploaded” via the USB cable, it overwrites anything else in memory and replaces it with the new program.

3 days ago, I bought a mBot. I followed all your instruction and was also managed to run it in “Square Route”.

However now I wrote another simple program and once I loaded through serial link… mBot keeps on rotating in circle while my program was something different. Now I am not able to even reset it to factory program.
On connecting mBot to my HP Laptop, though the port is visible in serial connection menu but when i try to select the relevant port for Mbot and try to establish the connection, it doesn’t happen.
I am not able to reset it to factory programs nor able to load it with my new (any) programs… can you please help.
Thanks in Anticipation.

thank you Mike and tec-support; very helpful and resolved now just as you described.
Firoz; hope their suggestions help you too…
Best wishes
Alfie

Yes alfie,
Was struggling initially to transfer our programs to mBot, even myself was trying to load the programs using Bluetooth… then some where in the forum I found that we need USB cable for loading our programs on mBot. Things went well, but I dont know what went wrong…now I cannot upload new programs nor restore mBot to its factory program ::disappointed: hope the experts replies it and I can then try more programming during this long weekend along with my kids.

Old thread but here is my experience after having many attempts to reset default program to do some testing…

I’m using PC and iPad. PC connects via serial, iPad via bluetooth (PC won’t connect via bluetooth… some versioning issue apparently). If I change USB ports on the PC the port to use changes from the makeblock / arduino connection whereas the other USB devices don’t - hence use the USB connection that is changing as the port.

Couldn’t reset the default program until I unplugged the bluetooth shield, then the selection was visible in the PC menu.

JL

Hi jl170,

Yes, the USB connection and Bluetooth connection can’t be used at the same time.
Normally, we suggest that unplug the Bluetooth module while you want to upload program or reset default program for the robot with USB connection.

Hello!

I’m new to mBlock and trying to upload new firmware / restore software that came with the Ultimate 2.0 kit. Similar to alfie, I cannot get my robot to respond even after installing the default program and uploading the online firmware to reset. I’ve updated multiple times using the USB cord, removing the Bluetooth shield, with no luck. I can connect to the device, and the download tells me its installed, but nothing works thereafter.

To see if my iOS phone would respond differently than PC, I downloaded the app. When trying to connect to the Bluetooth using my iPhone, I get the message “Synchronization fails, the firmware can’t identify. Please select your device model”. I choose Ultimate 2.0 and am prompted again to “Please use PC version of mBlock to restore firmware”.

Is it a problem that the Ultimate 2.0 logo doesn’t appear for me to connect to, when adding a new device? The closest I see is the mBot Ranger?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the trouble caused, the app asks for download mblock 5 to do firmware upgrade, actually it is inaccurate. Ultimate 2.0 doesn’t support mblock 5, please make sure you download mBlock 3 to upgrade firmware.
We need USB cable to connect PC and Ultimate 2.0, select correct board under boards: MegaPi.
If upload fails, please take screen shot of the error for me.

That works, thanks! Any guess when the new software will be available?

New software? You meam mBlock 5?
mBlock 5 beta 4 was released.
But there is no plan to support Ultimate 2.0. Please continue to use mBlock 3

I have a similar problem. My family only got the Ultimate kit 2.0 yesterday, made the grabber arm and played for a couple of hours before motors 1 and 2 are stuck going forward. I tried to reset the board and app, dismantled the board and put it back together then tried to update the new firmware and restore the software as detailed in this tread (mblock 3) all with the same issues, the window never moves past 0% uploading before it fails. The bluetooth chip has been taken off, the usb cord connected, board is set to MegaPi and its connected in the app.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi archer,
Please try to do reset default program or firmware update; If the issue goes the same, please kindly take a video to show me the problem, I will try to check for you.

HI, I have the same problem :
Ultimate kit 2.0 was working, we just used the default program and control the robot with IOS makeblock app before motors 1 and 2 were stuck going forward.
Now, as soon as I switch on the robot it go forward and it’s impossible to stop it. We are only able to control motor 3.
I tried to switch control modules, reset program to factory default with mblock, upgrade firmware but It did fix the problem
I read in one post that there would be an EEprom to clear. Does anyone now how to do this ?

I managed to clear eeprom. Here the main steps :
in mblock edit/arduino mode => this toggle display of line mode programming
then on top right click on “Edit with ardiuno IDE”
it opens the arduino application that I had previosly installed https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/HomePage
then I copy paste the code : https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/EEPROMClear?action=sourceblock&num=1
(thanks to this very good post : Encoder motors keep running on MegaPi port 1 and port 2)
then from arduino software I uploaded this program which cleared the EEPROM
then go back to mblock to reset to defaul program
now it works :slight_smile:

Glad to hear that :relaxed:

What is the issue details? Could you take a video of the issue phenomenon?

We just bought the Ultimate 2.0. After assembly we connected with Bluetooth and downloaded the makeblock IoS app. We were able to control the Ultimate using the app. However, after we attempt to write some code within your IOS app, the machine can’t work, none of the motors are moving. The blue LED is flashing. We look through your forum and has reloaded the firmware and reset to default program. Still can’t work. Many hours have been spent on this.

Have you checked the batteries? Takes much less power to flash the LEDs than it does to turn the motors.