Can Anyone Help This Low Tech Grandma?

Hello. I’m trying, but honestly, most of what I’m reading here is like a foreign language to me. I’m looking for a gift for my 14 year old grandson. He’s done the Lego Mindstorms EV3 and some coding. I thought a robot kit would be a good gift, and I found my way here. So, a few questions …
The mbot Mega aeems age appropriate, while the other models seem too young. Is that correct?
This model is available at Amazon with a bluetooth control at a substantially lower price. Is it the same product, same quality, same tech support, same warranty?
There is a YouTube video on the mbot Mega that seems to show “crab legs” attached to the unit. Is this an add-on, and is it available for purchase?
THANK YOU to anyone who can offer some help here.

Hey, @AngieGrams:
The mBot Mega is a great learning experience! It is fun to build, and fun to code. The alternative would be most likely an mBot Neo or mBot Ultimate (the latter is a bit pricey, but definitely worth it!)

The downside of the mBot Mega is the coding part is a bit hard to understand, and also the sensors are a bit easy to break. The mBot Neo doesn’t have that much building, but the mBot Ultimate sure does!

I haven’t seen an add-on pack for mBot Mega. There are some for the other mBots though.

Mention @CommandeR, @Crackel.

Hi, @AngieGrams:

I’m married to a ‘Low Tech Grandma’!

My inclination would be to go for the mBot Ultimate 2.0 kit which is a bit more expensive, but its so versatile and definitely worth it in terms of building and programming your own stuff. I’ve written a book about this kit which Makeblock should be adding to their Education pages of resources - but as to when, I have no idea.
@makeblock123 @makeblock_product @tech_support @makeblock

Lindsay

Hi,

I’ll go with Best_codes explanation. Although I like the appearance of the mBot Mega, I am suspicious of Makeblock and the support it may provide in the future. With the mBot Neo, it’s a more modern product that includes a small computer (CyberPI), even if the child gets bored with the robot, he can program his small computer, which extends the life of the product.

The motors for the wheels are very precise and it will be more recognizable with the Lego Mindstorms EV3.

Michel

Michel, thanks so much for your input. My grandson is 14 years old, though, and the neo looks like it’s for a much younger child. Would you agree with that? As far as Makeblock support, are you saying the support is not good? Do they not respond to people who might need help?

Hi Commander, thanks for responding.
The mbot Ultimate is $400, so not really an option.
Is there any reason the mbot Mega would not be a good choice in your opinion? Is it appropriately challenging for a 14 year old?
Do you think Makeblock offers decent tech support?
Do you think buying it at Amazon has any downside?
Thanks so much.

BTW, I am in awe of tech minds like yours. I am a former math teacher, so I’m not averse to all things science, but tech is another story for me. My brain has gone from left to right, and I am enjoying the new perspective, but at times like these, I do miss my former inclination! lol

@AngieGrams, thanks for your kind replies! You make the forum members happy to help people!
I think mBlock has pretty good support. You can email them, and they usually respond fairly fast.

No 14-year-olds are the same, I can assure you of that! Your grandson’s ability will be unique to him, so it is hard to say what mBot he’ll like! (I’m sure he’s very smart!)
There is also a coding box that makeblock sells shipped monthly; it’s a lot of building and probably worth the price!
https://www.nextmaker.com/

Yes, there are most certainly downsides to mBot Mega (I have one):

1. The wires bend very easily
  2. The thin circuit boards break easily (when the robot hits a wall, for instance)
  3. The code can be frustrating, there isn’t much example code, and there aren’t really any extensions for mBot Mega.

mBot Neo is very simple to build, but the multitasking computer (CyperPi) included with it is very fun! (It’s smaller than a phone, and you can make games with it! There is no Internet access, however, for obvious reasons). It’s downside, is it can really only be configured in one shape (the same goes for mBot Mega, too. Only mBot Ultimate and Nextmaker can really have more than one shape.)

mBot Ultimate has no downsides… except the price! ($399+)

Another thing: the mBot Mega doesn’t really work as well as in the videos.

**DON’T STOP READING! THERE'S ANOTHER MBOT!**

mBot ranger has a lot of shapes it can take, is fairly challenging to build, not too pricey, has many included and onboard sensors, and is well documented!
It might be right for you! Look at it here and tell me what you think:
https://store.makeblock.com/products/diy-coding-robot-kits-mbot-ranger

Other links you might find interesting:

Hope all that info helps! Have a great day!

Thanks for your time,
Best_codes

Hi, @AngieGrams:

mBot Mega - No.

mBot 1.1 with some add-on packs is probably the cheapest option & I am still programming one of these after four years ! I have a 12 year old grandaughter & she has gained a great deal from our work on this - mBot Ranger could also be a good choice with the same add-on packs (I also have one of these).

I am a retired teacher too and to aid your researches do download my first book (free) from Makeblock Education at:

https://education.makeblock.com/resources/res-mbot/56549/

You should find the early pages particularly informative in your quest & it will show you what your grandson could achieve with the Makeblock system. I think you might find the following of interest too:

P.S…Amazon is fine but I find Ebay a very good source for Makeblock stuff.

Hello again.
If I may, I have one more question … (maybe 2 or 3 lol)
After looking carefully at the mbot Mega and the mbot Ranger, I feel the Ranger is more suitable for a 14 year old. Do you have any input on this model?
Also, someone above wrote re the mbot Mega “The downside of the mBot Mega is the coding part is a bit hard to understand, and also the sensors are a bit easy to break.” Would this also be true of the Ranger?
And finally, the mbot sets sell for considerably less at Amazon. Is there a reason for this? Are they the same sets? Are they of inferior quality?

Thanks so so much!

Please see post below. Thanks.

Hello again.
Thank you again for your continued support. I am learning about these mbots because of the help I am getting here.
If I may, I have a couple more questions …
After looking carefully at the mbot Mega and the mbot Ranger, I feel the Ranger is more suitable for a 14 year old. I am leaning in this direction.
You previously wrote re the mbot Mega “The downside of the mBot Mega is the coding part is a bit hard to understand, and also the sensors are a bit easy to break.” Would this also be true of the Ranger? Or not?
And finally, the mbot sets sell for considerably less at Amazon. Is there a reason for this? Are they the same sets? Are they of inferior quality?

Thanks so so so much!

Thanks so much!
I think I’ll go with the Ranger and make the purchase at Amazon. I will assume they are selling authentic versions of Makeblock, and they do have lower prices and pretty good customer service.
The booklet you sent looks wonderul, and I’ll be sure to include a link when I give my grandson his gift.
Your grandaughter is very fortunate to have such a smart and involved person helping her. I can help my grandsons in many ways, but tech is not one of them!
Thanks for your help.

No, the Ranger is very easy to code! I have one, so I can give you any help you need with it too! The sensors are also very well-designed and durable!

Best_Codes Thanks again. I will keep a copy of this thread handy, in case my grandson needs some help down the road.
You have been so helpful. I wish I could return the favor.

To EVERYONE here: Please accept my most heartfelt thanks for your kindness and your help. I came here not understanding very much about this topic and hearing things that felt like a foreign language to me. I listened as carefully as possible to all the input, and I have decided to get the Ranger for my grandson. I am going to try to copy this thread so I will have a way of reaching out in the future, should I need to.
You have underscored for me once again what I try to never forget … that people are inherently good and caring. Let us all try to find and work together on common ground while appreciating our differences. I wish you all a safe, peaceful, joyful holiday.

Hi Group,

You chose without me.

I also choose the Ranger, I’ve never had one but it smells good for a 14 year old starting out. The CyberPI included in the mBot Neo offers more possibilities BUT the child must be motivated to use the other possibilities.

Crackel

Crakel, please understand that your comments and everyone else’s here were considered. All were informative and helpful. So, again, thank you so much!

Hi,

I was kidding, you’re in good hands.

:slight_smile:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Have you decided on the Ranger?