mBot controlled by Wireless Joystick using Me USB Host

Wireless Joysticks & Makeblock robots
Me USB Host questions - no detailed documentation (/how to) found -
PS3 joystick to control mBot or other bot?

This is great! thanks for sharing! I’ll have to try this out with our robot starter kit as the IR remote isn’t very kid friendly and a usb wireless controller is much easier than a copter RC controller.

Hi! I just tried to replicate what you did and ran into the problem of the > 64 bytes descriptor size. I tried it with a Trendnet TBW 107. Could you indicate which BT dongles are actually compatible with the MeUSBHost library?

Thanks a lot and best regards, Christian

Hi @robotfan,

This is great, well done and thanks so much for sharing the how to.

It seems that you are using the up/down/left/right arrows to control the mbot.
Do you know if it is possible to use the actual joysticks?

Thank you

Stefan

Hi Again @robotfan ,

May i ask what is the little usb dongle that goes with the USB Host on the photo?

Is the ps3 controller communicating using wifi or bluetooth?
Does the joystick need to be configured/paired to the usb host via this little wireless dongle?

Thank you
Stefan

PS3 joystick to control mBot or other bot?

Hi @robotfan, or @indream or @xeecos?

Are you still around and willing to answer a few question?
Do you still work for the Makeblock company by the way?

I got a usb Bluetooth 2.4G dongle and a PS3 joystick and they work well together with an Arduino UNO board and a Usb_Host_Shield.

Now i’m trying the same joystick/dongle with an mBot and a Me-usb-Host module but with no success.

Could you share a bit more about it please?

@tec_support, could you help too?

Thanks in advance,
Stefan

Hi xenjee,

For this kind DIY application, I am afraid that we don’t have enough ability to help, you may need to figure it out by yourself.

Hi everybody
Just to tell you I control my mbot ranger with my ps4 controller. I don t need “me usb host”.
I download droidscript on my phone
And I make an apk with ps4 control
The way is plug your phone to your robot paire ps4 controller to the phone start the apk created to control your phone. My script works If you want it ask me.

Hi @el_lolo,

Thank you for sharing some informations!
Unfortunately i don’t think i can have that app on my fruit logo phone.
Also, i wanted to remote the Camera Dolly from the Ultimate2 kit without having to use an intermediate device (computer or phone).
Anyway, i sorta gave up (at least for now) and switched back to pure Arduino stuff, since @tec_support keeps telling me to go F@ myself, even if Makeblock does showcase this thing as part of their marketing com, and even if the author of this showcased project works for … Makeblock.
Pretty lame! (it’s just un gros foutage de gueule, s’cuse my french!)

Anyway, thanks for chiming in @el_lolo

Stefan

no worries for the french
maybe you already see it but you have this tutorial on the web

Yes, that’s the showcased project, pretending to be an “instructable”, but with not enough explanations to go thru the steps, like the wireless bluetooth part. The only reason i didn’t report the “instructable” as not being complete is that others (with extended knowledge already) might find it more useful than it was for me.
Anyway, moving on (away from Makeblock for now) …
Thanks again Laurent - @el_lolo
Stefan

a very helpful post. yes, it can be used in Arduino and in artificial intelligence as well. and more importantly, a wireless joystick is easier to use. if you faced any tech-related issues, visit Microsoft 365 support and get your query done.

I had also faced the same problem previously. I also used USB with the mBot. I got the proper help from mcafee customer service. you may also visit this site for any types of help.

I’m interested in your script

hi
i don t have the script yet
but I can help you if you want tell me wich part you need help arduino part
or the phone apps?

I am having no luck getting the Arduino IDE Serial Monitor to show a response from the ME USB Host adaptor.

Test / Result:

Tested two different wifi gamepads using online tester / successful.
Used Makeblock ME USB Host example sketch with two different gamepads from test 1 / failed, no output displayed. Basically, I am using this mBot for my project ERP for SME and related projects.
Modified test 2 with different ports / failed
Modified test 2 with mCore and Orion boards / failed
Modified test 2 with different baud rates (4800, 9600, 57600) / failed
Connected a set of paired zigbee devices to mCore and Orion boards using a ME RJ25 Port Adaptor (RX on Slot S1, TX on Slot S2)/ successful - can see output to serial monitor.
Modified test 2 by specifying both port # and TX/RX pin number in setup() / failed
My current conclusions;

a - ME USB HOST only works with a specific type/brand of wifi gamepad controller, would like help in knowing what brands or devices are successful.

b - my hardware setup is incorrect (gamepad <> usb wifi adapter <> makeblock orion board <> usb cable <> laptop <> arduino IDE <> serial monitor)

c - my baud rate is incorrect(?)

d - the Makeblock MS USB HOST test sketch must be modified in some way(?)

Has anyone on this forum had success using a ME USB HOST??

That may be true, but I would have expected the ME USB Host adapter to just pass through anything it receives with the result being something would appear in the Serial Monitor even if it was garbage, displaying nothing at all is puzzling. I have also used this on mobile erp and related things.

On the flip side, I wonder if there is a way to perform an isolation test on the ME USB Host ie connect a non-gamepad input into the USB end and input exactly what it expects to receive and test whether it outputs as expected. Such a setup would separate the gamepad and the adapter.

The question is what data packet is the adapter expecting?

And what model of the gamepad does MakeBlock use in their demos?

I have 2x ME Host Adapters and 2x different gamepad models, and testing with mCore, Orion and Arduino UNO