PS3 joystick to control mBot or other bot?

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to use a PS3 joystick with the mBot?
Can we program it with mBlock or is it a pure Arduino thingy?
Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Stefan

Hi xenjee,

Here is a post from a enthusiasts to you for reference.

Thank you for the link @tec_support.

Unfortunately, the first link (1、mBot x1 detail link) doesn’t work (“OMG, I think I am lost…”)

Also, it seems that the given code is for direct Arduino programing. Can it be programmed with mBloc?

Thank you.
Stefan

Hi xenjee,

That is a post published by an ethusiasts long time again. The links may not take effect. But if you want to look for it. You can search mBot or Me USB host on the official website directly.
Besides,the mBlock program doesn’t support wireless joystick.

Thank you @tec_support,
By official website, do you mean on the makeblock main website ?

Hi xenjee

Yes, the official website is http://www.makeblock.com.

Thank you.

Thank you @tec_support,

Apparently the person who made this demo doesn’t seem to be very active anymore (here, on youtube or on the Instructable website) so it’s a bit hard to get any information.
Maybe you can help a little anyway?

Would you happen to know what is the little usb thing (Wireless dongle?) that goes with the USB Host by any chance? ( as seen in the 1st photo of the linked page, on the left of the usb host)
If it is a wireless dongle, then what kind is it? bluetooth or wifi? Any specs required?
Sorry to bug you but i couldn’t find any information about this anywhere. (searching for many hours)

Thank you,
Stefan

Please help, @tec_support.

I got a wifi dongle, but i don’t know anything about what actually goes to the USB Host. Seems that it might be a BT dongle communicating to the controller directly.

Or would i connect a controller to the computer (With Bluetooth) and then to the wifi dongle plugged in the usb host?

There is not much information about how to use the usb dongle on the website, and it actually says: If you have any doubt about this product or you need technical support, please post it in Makeblock forum. So here i am, in the need of technical support.

What are the principles for connecting a controller to a makeblock robot using the usb host?
I could not find ANY informations about it so far. Sorry to bring that in, but I bought for about $500 of makeblock products, i’d appreciate a little more help!

Also
In the joystick section of the robots blocks there are 2 block available with 2.4G Joystick:

Could you tell a little about how do we use these? Or is explained somewhere already?

Thanks in advance.

Stefan

Hmmm, there is a link on the instructable website that points to a facebook page of ‘Yeakong’ (In dream) … and it says this person works at makeblock.
Really?

Hi Stefan,

That USB dongle in that post should be 2.4G wireless usb dongle.

Sorry that I didn’t realized that there is a extension for 2.4G joystick on our mBlock software before.
Actually, we are under the process of developing the 2.4G joystick which will work with the program block on mBlock. It will be much easier for you to play the mBot with the 2.4G joystick after we have that online available for sell. Please keep an eye on it.

Hi @tec_support,

Thank you for your answers.

My problem is that a 2.4G wireless usb dongle can be BLUETOOTH OR WIFI.

1. Sorry if it’s sounds obvious but, do i need the Bluetooth or Wifi dongle?

Should i start another topic about the 2.4G joystick block in mBlock?
2) Can we use it already?
3) Is it to be used with a Me_usb_host (+ 2.4G usb dongle) or directly with the Bluetooth or Wifi modules pinned to the board itself?

Thanks in advance.

Stefan

Hi xenjee,

Please see answers below:

1. The wireless USB dongle is Wifi not Bluetooth.
  2. When you use our 2.4G joystick under developing with 2.4G version mBot , you can use the program block on mBlock software directly. There is no need for the 2.4G USB dongle.

Hi @tec_support,

Thank you for the details.
I’ll give it a try will very soon.

Stefan

Hi @tec_support

1. When saying “our 2.4G joystick under developing” do you mean a physical joystick, an actual 2.4G controller (Hardware) ? Or the Blocks and coding parts (software) ?

2. What is the status as of today? Can we use the 2.4G Joystick blocks in mBlock at all already ?

• If yes, is there some documentation about how to set that up? Or could you give some direction to get going?
  1. Are the Blocks under development for any 2.4G joystick (like the ps3) or only for a coming Makeblock joystick?

Thank you,
Stefan

Hi xenjee,

The 2.4G Joystick under developing is hte actual 2.4G controller (hardware), it can works the 2.4G joystic blocks which already in mBlock.
The 2.4G joystics program blocks which already in mBlock doesn’t work with other 2.4G joystick.

Thank you @tec_support.

Is there an estimated date for the release of a Makeblock 2.4G joystick (Hardware)?
When will it be available to purchase?

Thanks
Stefan.

Hi xenjee,

Temporarily we are unable to give a estimated date for the release of a Makeblock 2.4G joystick (Hardware) since it is still under the develop period. Please keep an eye on it and wait in patience.

Thanks @tec_support, fair enough.

Please let us know if there is anything we can try out (play with, discover) already with the existing 2.4G blocks.

Cheers