Wireless Connection between Raspberry Pi and mBot

Hi!

So, I’m relatively new to electronics. I am experienced in programming, but this is my first time experimenting with a Raspberry Pi and an mBot. Here’s what I would like to do:

• Upload code wirelessly to the mBot from my RPi

• Ditch the dreaded serial connection since I am treating the mBot as an AGV

Now, I’m aware that the mBot is based off an Arduino Uno, but I am unsure of how to link this with the Raspberry Pi. I don’t know if there are other solutions that exist, but I read somewhere that you can use an ESP-8266 Wireless module and connect the RPi to the now wireless robot. My mBot has wifi capabilities as well as bluetooth capabilities, and here’s what’s puzzling me: why doesn’t this work with the Arduino IDE? Why does it only support a serial connection and why can’t I upload my code wirelessly?

So, if I could have some info on how to create a wireless handshake (and if there are other ways rather than just using a Wifi module) between a Raspberry Pi and the mBot (with the mCore) using the Arduino IDE, it would be much appreciated.

P.S. Why can’t I just buy the wireless dongle that Makeblock sells? It’s on Amazon for $20, but I’ve read many times that you can’t use it with Arduino IDE. You have to buy a separate ESP-8266 and wire it yourself, which doesn’t make sense to me.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.