What is the point of the material settings?

Why do I need to specify material type, and set cutting speed and power for that material, if those settings are overridden anyway by what you set for each layer in the design?

The cutting speed is an important parameter that determines the quality of the cut. The result is directly dependent on the correct choice of cutting settings according to the material and size of the workpiece. The speed is calculated using empirical formulas depending on the type of machining.
Variations in speed lead to serious drawbacks and scrap parts. In addition, improper choice of cutting parameters leads to faster destruction of the cutting tool.

1. If the tool is more durable, the speed should be less.
  2. The speed of cutting materials should be reduced when working with hard metals in order to preserve the durability of the cutting tool, because the latter will decrease as the hardness of the workpiece increases. If the work is carried out with forged or castings, covered with scale, crust or having a shell, it is necessary to reduce the cutting speed on the lathe. Calculation is made from the optimal processing speed of this metal, but without the surface crusts.
  3. Resistance depends largely on the characteristics of the material from which it is made. And so they will affect the cutting speed as well. If you consider the same conditions of use of cutters, the highest speed will be in hard alloy fixtures, a little less in the tool made of high-speed steel. Carbon steel fixtures have the lowest speed of operation.
  4. Work with viscous materials demands preliminary cooling of cutting surfaces of tools. It allows increasing the durability of identical cutters from 15 and up to 25% of uncooled ones.
  5. Cutting speed is influenced by the size of the cutting surface and sharpening angles. Massiveness of the pick head helps to dissipate the heat which inevitably comes up during cutting. Angles of sharpening should be chosen correctly, because otherwise you have to apply more force during processing, which leads to accelerated wear of the cutter.
  6. The larger the cross-section of the cut, the lower the cutting speed should be selected for the work, because the durability of the pick decreases.

I was talking about the laserbox lasercutter (I assumed that to be clear from that I wrote this in the Laserbox part of the forum).

There is a setting for material, and for that material you specify speed, power and count. But then when you add a design to the program, that is shown as a layer with its own settings for speed power and count. So then what is the point of having settings for the material, if they are not used anywhere?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.