Various Questions about my New mBot

I got a mbot for my son, so far experience is great, but there are some issues, hopefully someone can help answer my questions about it.

1. I’m using it on PC (mBlock PC version Version: V5.4.3), and I can’t seem to get bluetooth to work with it. I have the bluetooth version (I can see the bluetooth module on it), I can get the PC to pair with the mbot. But mBlock software doesn’t see it when trying to connect. Having the usb wire connected to it in live mode really hinders what the mbot is suppose to do.

2. What is the difference between the two firmwares (online vs factory)? Which one should I be using?

3. Does the mbot run in two different (upload/live) modes totally separate of each other or not? In live mode, it seems to still be running uploaded codes. So I had to make a dummy program to “clear” whatever uploaded in order to have a clean slate for the live mode. Is that how it’s suppose to be?

4. My son is trying to do some of the lessons, and it seems like some operations (like sensors), will only work if he uploaded the code vs doing it in live mode. Shouldn’t all the operations work in both modes?

5. This is the biggest issue. Often times I’m finding the mbot non-responsive to the codes in the live mode. Only uploaded code works. When this happens, I need to reflash the factory firmware, then it’ll work again. Is there an issue between switching modes? Is it getting stuck and not going to live mode for some reason?

Thanks.

Hey @jasonhpc, and welcome to the forum!

To use the Bluetooth, you need the makeblock Bluetooth dongle.

The online firmware is the firmware to use. The factory firmware is the default code that mBot comes with for demo purposes.

That might be a bug in mBlock 5.4.3. mBlock 5.4.0 or 5.3.0 are more stable.

Live mode is handled differently than upload mode (by a JS compiler on your device, not mBot), so some things can only work in upload mode after the code is uploaded.

Again, likely a bug. You can contact makeblock about the issue here:
support@makeblock.com
Good luck!

Mention me as @Best_codes

Thanks for that.
Bummers about that bluetooth compatibility, I might as well buy the 2.4ghz wireless version then if I had to use a dongle.

I’ll try out mBlock 5.4.0 and see if it’ll resolve some of the other issues.

@jasonhpc Let me know how it goes!

You and your son may find this free download of some value:

https://education.makeblock.com/resources/res-mbot/56549/ 1

Interesting, I’ll give that a read. However it seems they need to fix their web server, I can’t download those files.

http://static.education.makeblock.com/mbotandme.pdf

That link should work. If it doesn’t, then try this one:
https://drive.internxt.com/sh/file/c41a6020-7353-4522-b832-b81a85bee5ad/07091c73e9df8734c824f650023ad94aad78800b1668f27f224c688590fb164e

@jasonhpc

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.