Unable to connect to mBot with Chromebook

Similar problem to Bluetooth Connection Issues Chromebook

I’ve tried mBlock as well as a couple Chrome apps, but none of them see the mBot.

I’ve ordered a MakeBlock Bluetooth dongle to use with a Windows 10 laptop. Will the dongle help with Chromebooks?

Hi cofibot,
Chromebook doesn’t support Bluetooth connection yet. We’ll record it for software team.

So the mBot Bluetooth isn’t supported for Chromebook, OS X, or Windows. What platform is the Bluetooth connection meant for?

Hi cofibot,
mBot Bluetooth is designed for mobile Apps: Makeblock App, mBlock App.
On computers, mBlock 3 and 5, mBot Bluetooth connects to mac OS, windows system with Makeblock official Bluetooth dongle; With mBlock 5, mBot Bluetooth can connect to mac OS, windows with PC built-in Bluetooth.

I have the mBlock Blockly app from Play Store running on the Chromebook. It connects to the mBot Bluetooth at first, then it says the firmware is the wrong version.

Is there a different firmware version to use with the Android app?

Hi cofibot,
If we use mobile app, we have to set the robot under default program/firmware.
So we have to link mBot to computer with USB cable, use mBlock 3/5 to reset default program:
mBlock 3:
mBlock5:

I received the makeblock Bluetooth dongle that I ordered. I paired it with my mBot on my Windows laptop. Subsequently, it works in with the Chromebook when I use ide.mblock.cc to program.

yes, Makeblock Bluetooth dongle/adapter looks like a serial port, it should work as long as the computer has usb port. Surely it needs Makeblock Bluetooth module.

There is a lot of confusion about how the bluetooth connection works.

What I have found is that on a Linux machine, bluetooth uses the SPP profile to create a serial port.
Then you can use this serial port as if it were a USB port. (I cant upload programs, but I can run them in live mode).

Mobile apps, on the other hand, seem to use the BLE mode and connect to the device directly without creating a system, wide connection (which explains as well why you need to reconnect each time you change app).

On top of that, I find the “firmware” terminology extremely confusing.

There seem to be 2 firmwares:

1. factory / 6.01.009: this is just a sketch which allows to control the mBot with the IR remote
  2. online / 6.01.107: necessary if you want to use the live mode

There is some doc about 2) here

I would not consider 2) an update over 1), it is just a different thing.

Guys at MakeBlock: if I may suggest something: why don’t you add some clear technical documentation about all this.

Andrea

Andrea is exactly right. It’s hard to figure out how to use mBot and it’s programming apps with the fragmented materials online.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.