This thing doesn't work

I’ve followed the advice of some here to install the usb driver from github but it has not been effective. The version 5 software does not have an option for a factory reset and the bot is basically a brick. Occasionally, a blue stripe flashes briefly, but that’s it.

It says it’s connected via USB. While most of the time I cannot do calibrations or uploads, occasionally I can upload but even the most simple of programs do nothing. I’m familiar with scratch and have used mbots extensively, but this Codey Rocky is useless. It will not allow me to update firmware either - it fails every time. Yes, it’s charged and powered on so please don’t reply with anything so basic. I’ve reinstalled MBlock_V5.0.0-RC.exe several times. I’ve installed and reinstalled drivers to no avail. USB is plugged directly into the computer - no hub.

Using Windows10 and I’m just about ready to send this thing back.

Sorry for the issue caused. To narrow down the issue, will you please take a video to show the issue that mBlock 5 fails to update firmware for Codey Rocky? Also take a video of uploading program but failing to perform?
If necessary, we would like to offer remote control (teamviewer/skype).
When and where did you purchase the Codey Rocky?

I bought this on pre-order last year. I was backer #903 when it was on Kickstarter. However, I just now gave it to my daughter for Christmas and this is the first chance we’ve had to use it. We’ve both been looking forward to this and are very disappointed.

I tried it on an old Windows7 machine and it worked fine - the first time. After a restart of the computer, the Codey can no longer connect. Every time the USB cable is connected, it tries to re-install the drivers and it keeps failing. I’m using the same port so it shouldn’t be re-installing drivers every time but it is. After restarting the computer, it can no longer connect at all, no matter what I try. I’ve tried installing the drivers manually in the Device Manager but it still won’t connect.

It doesn’t matter though. I bought this for my daughter and she is just as frustrated with it as I am and doesn’t want it anymore and I’ve wasted enough time (hours upon hours) on this. We have an mbot ranger, an airblock, and a regular mbot but never experienced any problems like this. You have some serious issues with this product that should have been resolved before this was put on the market. You can’t expect children to enjoy and use a product that tech savvy adults can’t figure out how to get working.

I never ever even saw a Codey Rocky IRL, but:

1. Make sure the thing is on.
  2. Can you try using mBlock 3? (There, what mBlock 5 calls “Update Mode” is on Edit>Arduino mode, just FYI)
  3. If you already installed mBlock 3, can you try installing Arduino drivers? Connect>Install Arduino Driver(s)
  4. You actually got here? From mBlock 3, make sure you have connected the PC to the Codey Rocky and go to Connect>Upgrade Firmware. This should unbrick the robot.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but I’ve wasted enough time on this. I figured out that if I uninstall and re-install the application after every computer restart it seems to work. It’s totally ridiculous that I should have to do that, but it seems to work. It’s unlikely that we’ll be using it very much anyway. It’s just too much of a pain to bother with.

Windows10 is not functional at all, but at least I can do this on Windows7 and make it work. Is there anyone else here that hates Windows10 as much as I do? Probably not.

Hmm… With an mBot, Win10 works fine for me. Both mBlock 5 and 3.

:grin:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.