Thinking of Buying mBot for my Child. Need Info

So my Girl is almost 6 years old and is pretty smart and has a huge interest in computers, robots, and technology. She says she wants to code and i have spent days researching different starter bots and have come up with a short list, mBot being the favorite. I love the other add-ons, they have a pink version, the programming seems more simplistic block coding than some of the others I have seen. I just wonder what the other add-ons do the website is not clear and the amazon details isn’t much better. Could i get some basic info on add-ons and your experience with mBot? Any info would be great! Thank you!

Hi

You can find more info regarding to the add-on pack for the mBot robot from here.

What add-ons are you looking for? Have you looked at the Ranger? It has a ring of LEDs, two motors, a buzzer to play tones, light intensity, temperature and sound sensors, proximity sensor, black line finder, a gyro and can operate with the bluetooth app as well as MBlock coding. You can use the ranger kit to create different styles of robot (2 wheel, 4 wheel and tracked) and it comes with 8 ports to which you can connect a number of other adapters. It is more expensive, but a fair margin, but it depends on what addons you intend to buy and what you want to do with them.

The Mbot is of course very capable in its own right too, and comes with a number of similar interfaces as part of the kit. It really depends on your budget and goals.

Hello,

I have mBot, a Codey Rockey and 2 girls who were 8/10 years old.
The mBot is an older robot that has more hardware. The tutorial is more complete than the Codey Rockey BUT the Codey Rockey has captured the interest of my daughters, longer than the mBot.
Personally, at a similar price, the Codey Rockey has more possibilities and seems more suitable for a 6-year-old girl. The tutorial is less good but the controller is better. For the future, IOT, AI, and its power, the possibility of learning Python, Neuron, etc.
I recommend that you compare with the Codey Rockey, it has advantages and disadvantages. However, without adding it, it is more complete and easier to program than the mBot because it is able to do several actions at the same time.

That’s … my opinion.

In general, set your expectations, and those of your child, that it’s a bit of an adventure- stuff isn’t always going to work easily. There will be times when you were excited to jump in and try something, but get sidetracked making something else work, and that often results in pretty long delays while you search the forums and write to technical support.

Hi gerp124,

Sorry for the late reply recently due to the spring festival and novel coronavirus,we postponed to work. But we are now back to work and will follow up the forum daily. Sincerely sorry for the troubles caused to all of our users.

See my book (free download) from:

https://education.makeblock.com/resource/?query=146&page=1

This tells you EVERYTHING and more!

Lindsay Rooms

Hello charlizesen1.

I’ll reiterate what I’ve said elsewhere- just be prepared that you will almost certainly run into challenges on a regular basis. I simply think that’s the nature of the beast.

I think you’ll end up feeling the best about the whole experience knowing that there will be many things that don’t work the way you expected, and that you’ll spend a great deal of time on tangents learning many minute details of how these systems work. But then with forums, technical support, and the internet, you can work your way through anything, and that’s where the real sense of accomplishment comes from.

And that’s a general comment- just about anything technical is going to be that way, but with MakeBlock, you’ve got a lot of adoption, so that lots of people have had just about any problem you’re likely to have, and so answers are likely easier to find.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.