my 12-year old son has the mBot Ranger, the mBot Neo / CyberPI and the Codey Rockey. Since quite some time he thinks of creating and programming an own drone with the Me Auriga from the Ranger as basis. Although I think the CyberPI might be the better option.
For Christmas, he wants us parents to get the motors and parts necessary for this project .
As a start, I thought it would be wise to ask you guys if such a project would be realistic at all - apart from all the difficulties when programming the motor control. And apart from any weight-concerns . These two doubts would be something for him to find out himselve .
Regarding myself, I’m a very experienced software developer, but I have close to no experience with microcontrollers and HW.
My questions are manifold, lets start with the following:
- Is this realistic at all or a complete dead-end?
- Can 4 motors be connected and controlled to Auriga or CyberPI?
- Are there any motors available that could be used for this? Which type of motors would I need for the Auriga / CyberPI?
- Can these motors drive propellers and where to find the latter?
- Which connectors or additional modules would be needed?
Many thanks for now and greetings,