Programming the Starter Robot Kit (IR version)

I got the starter kit last year for Christmas and I tried to program it. My friend (who is going into collage for programing) and I tried to program somthing onto it but it didn’t work. The program that we made did not download. My problem is that I can’t use the remote any more. I’ve tried to reset it to the default program and even though it says the program download but it didn’t. If anybody knows whats wrong and why it won’t program please reply thank you.

Hi yoman223,

Please Upgrade firmware for starter refer to this instruction.4. How to upgrade firmware for starter.docx.zip (1.1 MB)
Then please reset default program again have a try. Refer to steps in this instruction.2. How to reset default program for starter with mBlock.docx.zip (1.0 MB)

If the IR remote control doesn’t work even with default program, please double check if the Me Infrared Reciver module is connected to Port 6 on Orion board. Is there any led reaction when you press the button on the IR remote controller?

If there is led reaction when press button on IR remote controller but the starter doesn’t move, please change the battery for starter have a try. According to our test and research, it is suggested to use rechargeable Li-ion battery or rechargeable nickel-metal hydride, nickel-cadmium which can be bought from amazon or local shop. Or Alkaline battery with good quality like Energizer, DURACELL.

I have also had an issue even trying to program my mbot. I updated the firmware, and now every time I plug in the bot my computer shuts down. Any suggestions how to fix this?

Hi mstevens,

Do you use the Mac OS Sierra?
If yes, please see this document.

Hi tec_support
I tried everything that you suggested but the remote still isn’t working to make it move. Is there anything else that I can do?

Hi yoman223,

Could you please kindly provide more details? Is there any LED reaction on the infrared module when press any key on the IR remote controller.

First, please test if the IR remote controller is OK with Android phone. Please refer to following steps:

1. make sure the IR controller has correct number of correct type of battery.
  2. open the camera application on an Android phone.
  3. put the Infrared head on the IR remote controller toward to the camera on the Android phone.
  4. press the key on the IR remote controller. Meanwhile, through the camera on Android phone, notice if you can see the red light from the Infrared head. If there is red light means the IR remote controller is function normal.

If the IR remote controller is ok, please test if he me infrared sensor is ok by the following way:
Keep holding a button on the IR remote controller, the blue led on the Infrared sensor should be solid on if the sensor is working.

The IR remote and the sensor are still working but even though I reset the robot to the default program the robot does not move.

Hi yoman223,

What’s kind of batteries do you use? Have you ever changed the batteries?

Besides, could you please upload following example program to Orion board and check if there is any error message on the integrated Arduino platform (Bottom right corner)?