Motors suited for pinball machine

With our CoderDojo we want to make a pinball machine.
For the flippers to work, I was thinking about using a motor and a small bar to launch the ball.

Currently I have some DC motors and 2 servo motors, but there’s a large variety of motor extensions available.
Which one would you recommend for creating the flippers with?
Capabilities:

• Swift reaction back & forward
  • Solid and firm (i’ll be using a light table tennis ball)
  • Always the same movement (no variations like the DC motor)

Thanks for your advice!

Hi k.arel,

Firstly, sorry for my English because I am very bad.
Second, this is my reflection on your problem and not a solution that I have tried.
Third, I’ve never done Flipper but would probably go in another direction.

For the base, I would use a spring for the launch the ball and a mechanical system for the 2 flap bar. The mechanics will be more solid and less expensive.

Ok, don’t laugh at my drawing. I am not an engineer and I am not in computer graphics.

Then I would add a small screen, and sensors of all kinds. Vibration sensor for points, electroemant, motors and servo motors.

However, if you decide to use electronics for the 2 flap bar, the ordinary motor will not be precise enough, the motor server and the stepper motor will be too slow. I would use an electroemant to hit the ball.

Hehehehe, I hope you have other suggestions? Sounds like a fun project. The simplest solution will always be the best.

Here is what I was talking about but it is not that simple.
%C3%89lectro

Thanks for your reply.
To be sure that we’re talking about the same, here’s a parts list:
https://images.app.goo.gl/7uMbcegJarQiWiQZ8

I’m not making the launcher.

I’m looking for a way to implement the flipper bats.
I’m now thinking of using the servo motors, but is there a better alternative?

PS: other implementations I’ll be working on with the kids:

• Rotating element: fan
  • Lights: led matrix
  • Score: 7-segment display
  • Ball detection: distance meter
  • Ball in hole detection: light meter
  • etc … everything goes!

Hi K.arel,

The servo motor is a simple and easy to understand solution for children but is it fast as a movement ??? Pinball bats are probably the heart of the pinball machine.
Pinball machine

Me, I would go in mechanical and very simple pinball bats to focus on the other elements. The pointing … A led matrix, a speaker and the other sensors.

Hi K. arel,

I am not into electronics but would start with the purchase of Piezoelectric shock tap sensor module for arduino on Aliexpress. I do not really know the different possible choices but some inexpensive things that detect shocks (vibration).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.