MBot Ranger Best high capacity LiPo battery?

Hi we purchased 50 mBot Rangers for our school and would like recomendations for the best high capacity (6000 mAh or more) LiPo battery that fits the 3.5 mm barrel plug and does not require a highly expensive charging solution.

Ranger not working. Help

Hi Garymdonahue

Normally, I use this kind of rechargeable Li-ion battery while I think our company should buy this battery from China local manufacturer. You may check online and look for similar battery have a try.

@tec_support, I may have to attach a barrel plug to the ones I’ve found (Mfr. is Syma). Can you provide the polarity of the barrel plug connection?

Hi chuckmcknight.

I think I don’t have that.
Normally, the power plug in China has no polarity requirement. Positive and negative plug are both ok.

You need a high capacity lipo battery, I know there is a website sold lipo battery, and there are many different capacity to choose, you can go and have a look.http://www.genstattu.com/

I picked up a few 7.4v batteries with the barrel plug from RobotShop (link).

@chuckmcknight – I know this post is a few months old at this point, but it’s the only lithium post I’ve found specific to the mBot Ranger robots.

How are these 7.4v batteries working for you?
Why did you choose to go with the barrel plug versus the standard Lithium charging connector on the mBot Ranger?
How long are these batteries lasting you before they need to be recharged?

We need to purchase lithiums (or any other rechargeable battery solution) for our 100 Rangers that we own. I’m trying to decide what the best purchase would be.

Hi @rosemarybianchi,

There were a couple of reasons behind my choice of the barrel connectors. The first was that I use the batteries for other robots that I’ve designed/built and the barrel connector has proven to be an easy to use common connection. The second reason is that I built a battery charger that lets me charges several at the same time that use the barrel connecter (yes, I’m one of those makers who does stuff like that :slight_smile: ).

The batteries have worked well for me so far. How long they last depends on what I’m doing with the robot though. Most of my sessions go from 30 to 50 minutes, and they seem to support that length of time (unless I’m running the motors or servos constantly). However, my solution may not work for everyone. The battery can be purchased with a different connector at that site, so you always have an option.

Hope this helps.

Chuck