MBot not connecting via bluetooth

Our MBot2 Ranger will not connect via Bluetooth and prompted us to update firmware. Firmware was successfully updated though our computer, but it still tells us to update the firmware on app when attempting to connect via Bluetooth. We just got this a few weeks ago. Is it already a paperweight?

Hi Sean:

If you use makeblock mobile app to connect with mBot2 via Bluetooth,it will pair with your device very quickly,but do remember don’t use PC or Laptop to controll it,if you have any problem please contact with us,we’ll reply to you ASAP.

I’m having the exact same problem. Just bought the Ranger for my son’s birthday, and it’s a brick from the word go. The firmware update appears to run ok, but when connecting via Bluetooth from my phone, I get a message that the firmware is not supported and needs to be updated.

I’ve tried updating the firmware through the mBlock OSX app and through the online portal at makeblock.cc. Both routes show a successful firmware update.

When attempting to connect my Android phone to control the Ranger, I get a message that reads “Synchronization fails, the firmware can’t identity. Please select your device model.” I select mBot Ranger, then get the message “Firmware Recovery. Please use PC version of mBlock to restore firmware.”

I see no options in the mBlock OSX app to “restore” firmware, only update.

Another fail on firmware updates…

I downloaded Arduino following the information found here: https://support.makeblock.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500004053721-Programming-mBot-Ranger-in-Arduino

First, I have to say that the links posted here do not match the examples and instructions. The download link to Arduino installs version 1.0.6 and the instructions clearly show version 1.6.8. Version 1.0.6 does NOT work as the update code triggers numerous errors in Arduino!!! The correct download link for version can be found at this link: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/OldSoftwareReleases#1.0.x

Once having the correct version of Arduino installed, I was able to successfully update the firmware using the instructions at the above referenced link.

Still, when attempting to connect via Bluetooth with the Makeblock android app, I get the same error messages as previously noted.

Luckily, I bought this paperweight on Amazon. I am super close to initiating a return and leaving a 1-star review… And will do exactly that if there is not a timely response to these issues.

Hi Mike:

I have a mBot2 for daily testing it has similar problem when I trying to update the firmware it stuck in
5% and can’t successfully update the firmware anyway,It could be the problem of mainboard,I noticed your use Mac version mBlock to update your ranger,i suggest you can use the web vesion.

About the Arduino problem I’ll ask our engineer to fix the website and download link

And please update your Makeblock app to latest version and make sure the your cellphone’s bluetooth works normally.

Hi Mike:

I have a mBot2 for daily testing it has similar problem when I trying to update the firmware it stuck in
5% and can’t successfully update the firmware anyway,It could be the problem of mainboard,I noticed your use Mac version mBlock to update your ranger,i suggest you can use the web vesion.

About the Arduino problem I’ll ask our engineer to fix the website and download link

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.