mBot: how does it *really* work?

Hi

I’ve bought a mBot and I would like to understand how exactly it works.
There are various modes of operation

1. Program as an arduino via Arduino IDE (USB)
  2. ide.makeblock.com: Upload (USB)
  3. ide.makeblock.com: Live (USB)
  4. some Android Apps (Bluetooth)

I’ve noticed as well that if I upload a sketch via 1) then when I use 3), it wont work till I refresh the firmware.

So my guess so far is

1. it is a normal Arduino Board which comes with a custom firmware (i.e. a preloaded program) which listens to bluetooth and serial to work with the “live” or “remote control” android applications

2. if I upload a program via Arduino IDE, then it erases the firmware and the “live” apps do not work. I can understand this.

3. what I cant figure out is how 2) works. by looking at errors and logs it looks like an Arduino IDE, it compiles a C program and uploads it (and it takes time). But, this must be a special “upload” which does not erase the firmware as the board keeps working in live mode. Any idea?

4. Where can I find more information about the “firmware”? it would be interesting to be able to control the board from a custom Android app. Is there any information about it?

Thank you

Hi audetto,
Based on online program/firmware, we can do live programming;
Based on default program/firmware, we can use mobile apps, and the three default modes.
Once we upload a customized program to mBot, it is neither online program nor “default program”, then it won’t do live programming nor default three modes.
We have some Arduino C program examples, you can download from github or open it in mBlock 3-Arduino 1.6.5: https://github.com/Makeblock-official/Makeblock-Libraries
Upload in mBlock software or in Arduino IDE, both will erase the original firmware.
Here is mBot default program.

I see.
I found it in the installation of mblock 5.

For previous versions, the code was on github somewhere like

But this has now been dead for a while.
Is the development / source code still available on github?

Thank you

It is always available in github, we can download it.
Any question, please kindly tell us.

Where exactly in github is the mblock firmware located?

This seems out of date

and a repository for mblock 5 is not available.

Thank you

Sorry for the late reply. Here is download link:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.