mBot firmware update with Mblock 5 on Windows 10

I just picked up an mBot 1.1 Bluetooth, and have been trying to get the firmware update to work. I am running Windows 10, and have tried Mblock 3 and Mblock 5. With Mblock 5 the update will not even finish, the highest it made it up to was 96% before it failed. With Mblock 3 the update completed, but the mBot did not function afterwards, so I had to reset to default.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gunrjake

mBlock 5 is still in beta so it may just be one of the things Makeblock is working out. Have you tried a different serial cable?

After updating the firmware via mBlock 3, you should be able to run scratch programs via mBlock. The firmware update ensures that the commands in the Scratch program are properly interpreted. The restore program option puts the mBot back at the factory shipped state.

It would be helpful if you could go into more detail on what you mean by “did not function afterwards” because there is not really enough information to help troubleshoot. :slight_smile:

1. What are you trying to do? (A screenshot of your program would be helpful)
  2. Are you connected via USB, WiFi, or Bluetooth ?

Regards,

Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks for the reply.

Here is the rundown on my, “did not function” diagnosis. After installing the update (via Mblock 3), the onboard lights did not come back on, and the IR remote did not function. Since I am just starting out and have not progressed beyond the basics, this looked bad.

I have since re-installed the update, and first tried to connect via Bluetooth with my iPhone: SUCCESS. Then I tried to use the IR remote: still no good there. So any advice on the IR thing would be great.

Look forward to hearing back.

Jake

The IR remote uses the built-in IR Transmitter/Receiver so unless you reinstalled the default program, it won’t do anything (requires you to write a program to use it). I wrote an ebook about using mBlock with the mBot (STEM, not Ranger or Starter kits) that provides a really basic introduction to the devices on the mBot, including programming for the IR remote (link). There are also a lot of tutorials on the Makeblock Learning and Education sites that are helpful too.

One of the things that you will need to keep in mind is that you must connect to the mBot via the Connect menu and for me the bluetooth receiver appears as a serial port when I’m using it to send commands over the air (for what it’s worth, the same hold true for the WiFi module). If you are attempting to upload a program that allows the mBot to run autonomously, you’ll need to use the USB cable because the avrdude onboard programmer for the microcontroller cannot be access via Bluetooth* or WiFi*.

mBlock will only allow a single connection to the mBot, so if you are connected via Bluetooth on your mobile device, the mBlock instance on your PC cannot connect to it using the Bluetooth connection. This seems to trip up folks, but it’s the nature of a serial connection and will require you to drop the Bluetooth connection on one device so that another can connect.

Glad to help with any other questions.

* If you use a Bluetooth or WiFi dongle in the USB port, then of course this does not hold true.

I had the mBot hooked up via the USB cable for the update, and I had disconnected the Bluetooth link to my phone beforehand. Thanks for the help again, and I look forward to digging in to this creature some more.

Jake

By the way, here is mBot FAQ, and No. 7 and 8 are for IR remote controller:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.