Mbot 2.4

Is there a way to make a 2.4 mbot switch to use bluetooth technology? Is there a part I can buy?

Um, do you mean an mBot using the 2.4GHz WiFi module? It’s relatively simple, you will need to buy the bluetooth module and bluetooth dongle from Makeblock (via Amazon).

@tech_support, feel free to correct me if I have misstated this. :slight_smile:

Yes, just switch the 2.4G module to Bluetooth module and unplug the 2.4G wifi dongle.
If you want to connect PC to mBot with USB cable, a Bluetooth dongle is necessary.

@tech_support. So in order to connect your mbot to PC via USB, you need the Bluetooth dongle? Why?

The Bluetooth module / dongle combination bypasses inconsistent Bluetooth stack implementations in the operating systems. Personally, I eschew the use of Bluetooth wherever possible because I’ve just never been impressed by it. The Bluetooth SIG “certifies” hardware and drivers that only loosely conform to their specifications (always made me wonder why it was called a specification instead of “a really strong suggestion but we won’t enforce it so we can continue to collect licensing fees”).

The dongle establishes a serial connection with the computer (which is all that Bluetooth does anyway) and provides a level of assurance that it can communicate with the Bluetooth module on the mBot. Personally, i eschew Bluetooth for WiFi when i can but that’s a personal choice. :slight_smile:

I sent you an email, please check it.

Chuck, I am still trying to find an affordable 2.4GHz solution for the Mblock_v3.4 version (.9 or .11. The USB dongle and receiver (by Makeblock) have recently been listed on Amazon as unavailable, and I haven’t found any alternative. It seems to be a common way to connected keyboards, mice etc to a laptop, and those seem quite inexpensive. The dongle looks fine but I assume one would have to “dissect out” the receiver from the mouse or keyboard. You have mentioned that you like to stick to Wifi (I am guessing you mean the 2.4G modules) but have you found a source for them?
Eric

Wow, most of the places I’ve been ordering them are out of stock as well.

@tech_support, is there a supply or manufacturing issue?

Hi eric & chuck,
May I know your region? I’ll check with related colleagues.

Hi @tech_support,

I’m in the United States.

Best regards,

Chucks

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.