Makeblock ver 5 application - opening up existing mbot program files

hi,
ive got about 15 mbot 1.0 and 1.1 mbot robots, in the past I used makeblock to teach students to program with blocks, then to connect via usb serial port to mbot, and to upload the program and test it out. (remote control, follow the line, avoidance maze…)

when I installed the new makeblock 5, I went to open my projects and it didn’t open up (or i didnt see my scripts there, nor did i see the mbot device…).
my question is, can i import my existing programs for the mbot into the new v5 of the makeblock program… i had been using v3.4.x.x previously.

I haven’t seen that functionality being available. mBlock 3.x was based on Scratch 2.0 and written in Adobe Air.

mBlock 5 is based on Scratch 3 which is written in HTML, Javascript, and CSS and uses the React framework on top of Node.js. Given that Adobe Air is proprietary and the .sb2 files are in a proprietary binary format, I’m not too optimistic that the ability to import older projects is at the top of the work list. It would be a nice feature to have though.

I cannot, however, speak for Makeblock. :slight_smile:

thanks chuck,as always…
is there a link(s) to the basic 3 scripts anywhere online here, the basic remote control, the follow the line, and the ultra sonic sensors avoidance programs…
i could probably easily recreate them in mblock 5 and test out… but i d think there a link here to some of the basic 3 scripts…
also, does the new mblock v5 connect to the mbot via usb as in the past…? how do we upload to mbot?
i didnt realize the new version was so different… until school started last week!

Hi @magicmarc,

There are some lesson here and of course you can repurpose the code from my book as well.

You will continue to connect to the mBot via USB, and once you have connected to the mBot, there will be a blue button that says Upload to Device. You will need to turn the Test button off to activate the Upload to device button.

thanks chuck, i have explored the new mblock 5 , but i assume, since you mention the book, that the actual code is basically the same blocks, its just a new interface, and filetypes, etc… ill play with it tonight… i go away to mex for the summers, so the new mblock major upgrade was sort of a surprise when i got to school after labor day, to see a big change… to learn …ill take a look at the link you sent

No worries, but remember that mBlock 5 is still in beta, i.e., not finished yet, which is why I haven’t revised the book for it yet.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.