I need to make (drill and tap/die) a chasis for the arduino board (brass posts)

hi , i have 3 metal robot chassis that id like to use with the mbot kit, but the holes dont line up, etc… thus i wanted to drill some hole in the metal chassis, etc… so i could screw the 4 brass posts into as well as the standard mbot screws used…
what size tap and die set would i need to get. i know i need to drill a pilot hole then use the tap/die to make the threads, but i dont know what size to get.
thanks all

Hi Marc,

Those are (per the mBot construction manual) 25mm M4 threaded standoffs. :smiley:

Best regards,

Chuck

Hi…consult a Manufacturing Engineer to work out what torque and power you need for all those cutting and threading operations. There are formulas to work out the power required to remove metal at a specified rate.
Or measure the torque on a conventional machine while doing each operation.
I suspect that you will need kilowatts of power to do all that in 15 seconds. A 2A stepper motor won’t cut it.

pcb assembly

I don’t think he meant to construct a machine to drill and tap holes, I think he was looking for the screw thread size to mount the Makeblock hardware onto other chassis. My robotics teams do this sort of thing all the time with a common power drill or a drill press and the M4 tap and die. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.