HELP! Mbot ONLY moves when connected to computer via USB

Hi All! Just got my mbot. Put it all together. But it wouldn’t move - either on black line (red LEDS) or object avoidance.

I am using the mbot to form the core of a machine of a little film I am making tomorrow and I cant get it to work without it being connected to my computer via USB!! I am using a MAC.

I have followed instructions to:
UPGRADE FIRMWARE (result: mbot wont work even when plugged in)

I then tried instructions to RESET DEFAULT PROGRAMME - and then it works with the remote WHILE IT IS CONNECTED with the USB. But the moment I unplug the USB it it wont move at all (I have tried black lines, object avoidence and remote and phone app). I have tried reset button and on board button.

When I try to connect via the Phone app the error message says bad firmware.

When I first unplug it the lights kind of flicker to an off white, amber maybe… then I switch off and on and they go to red. but it wont move in any way.

PLEASE HELP URGENTLY. Have I got a malfunctioning board or am I missing a step?

UPDATE on the above… I managed to get it to a point where when I disconnect the USB cable I can use the IR to make the wheels move a TINY bit left or right before it makes a 3 toned ‘error’ sound. It will still not move forward or backward. Also when I switch it off and on again - it has a blue flashing light and regular beeping and now wont move at all again!!! I think there is something wrong with it?

PLEASE HELP!!! I am using it for a film and on a 36 hour deadline!!!

Unable to make MBOT work without connecting to laptop USB

TO CLARIFY - after I RESET DEFAULT PROGRAMME - it will work using the remote - but as soon as I dosconnect the USB cable it switches to red LEDS and wont move AT ALL.

I would recommend checking the batteries,they may not be providing enough power to the board.

Upgrading the firmware will update whatever is in memory to the version associated with the mBlock IDE you are using.

If you are writing a program in mBlock and want to upload it to the mBot you will need to use the mBot header block, go to Arduino mode, and click the Upload to Arduino button…

As @Bleky noted, always make sure that you have fully charged batteries.