Calculation-glitch in mBlock5

I ran into a glitch in mBlock5 (this worked perfectly in mBlock3), which has a lot of impact on the lesson-material i made so far.

I use potentiometers to control LEDs and servo’s. To make use of the complete range of the potentiometer i calculate the scale. For example if i want to control the brightness of a LED, i will calculate the scale by dividing the range of the potentiometer (1024) by the range of the LED-channel (255). In this case the scale is 4.015686274509804.

A long number, but i’m not bothered, because i store it in a variable, and this works OK in mBlock3.

In mBlock5 however this somehow results in a potentiometer-value that is divided by 1000. But only when there are more than 8 digits behind the decimal point, otherwise it works fine (see picture).

@tech_support: Can you check with the engineers if there is a way to fix this?

I would upload an mBlock-file if i could, but the forum software won’t let me.
You can download it here: calculate_scale_mbot_test.mblock

This is the wrong data format, please try:

That’s not the solution, ‘ceiling’ and ‘round’ will force the value into integers, i need to use floating numbers as well.
The problem is, as described in the picture, calculations with the scale-variable work fine as long as ‘scale’ has no more than 8 digits behind the decimal point.
Otherwise, the result-value is divided by 1000.

for example:
1000/255 = 3.92156862745098 - doesn’t work
1000/256 = 3.90625 - works!

Does this one always works?

Yes, in this picture you can see what happens.
A: the potentiometer-value is divided by a floating number with more than 8 digits.
The result is wrongly divided by 1000.
B: the potentiometer-value is divided by a floating number with 8 (or less) digits.
This result is correct!

or in short:
calculate_4

Hi albertepp,
I just forwarded to the develop team, the problem should be the software issue. We will try to fix it in the next version. Thank you for your time and patience.

Thanks! Do you have a clue when the next version will be released?

There will be a update at the end of this month, but I am not sure this fix will be added in this version.

Hi tech_support, i noticed this has been fixed in mBlock 5.1. Nice!
Thanks to the engineers for fixing this so quickly.

Hi Albert,
Glad to hear that. Again, thank you for your feedback. :grin: