2.4GHz connection not working on Ranger, but fine on mBot

I ordered an mBot with the 2.4GHz connection and got it working fine.
I also ordered a Ranger because of the other sensors and capabilities (using both for a class) and MakeBlock support suggested that I order the 2.4GHz dongle so it would work better in the classroom setting.
I’ve uploaded the firmware to the Ranger and can connect and do whatever I want via USB cable.
The blue indicator light seems to indicate that it is connected (flashes when dongle not in & stays solid when dongle is inserted)
I’ve repaired the module on the board with the USB dongle (and again, the light flashed appropriately).
But any time I try to connect mBlock (v3.4.11- I know that v5 is not compatible with the 2.4GHz dongle) nothing happens. No check appears, nothing.
I’m not trying to upload programs to the Ranger (I know you can’t do that via wireless connection)- I’m just trying to connect the Ranger to mBlock to allow online control and commands. Anybody have any more ideas for things to try to get this thing working?
In case it matters I’m running Win7 on an old Macbook Pro.

For mBot 2.4G version, it contacts 2.4G modulepart A+part B by default.
For Ranger, have you try to remove the cover and replace the Bluetooth module with 2.4G module part A?
Connect via USB first, upgrade firmware, then connect with 2.4G to run online program.

I’ve done all of that and then some as described in my post. Pins are in the right holes. Lights working like they’re supposed to, but software still not connecting.

If connect the original Bluetooth module, can you connect Makeblock App to the Ranger via Bluetooth?
If it is working on Makeblock App, can we arrange remote control of your PC? We work from 9:00 am to 6:30 am, Monday to Friday. If it is ok, please kindly tell me your available time, and the remote control software you used.

This was going to be my next step, but I need to borrow a bluetooth module for my computer. I’ll post once I get one if it works.

I took out the 2.4GHz module out of the Ranger and reinstalled the original bluetooth module. I then borrowed a bluetooth dongle and tried another laptop with built-in bluetooth but neither could discover the Ranger. However, my phone could easily see it and would probably be able to connect if I had the app and wanted to use it through my phone. Will computers only connect via the MakeBlock bluetooth module alone or what?

To connect computer via Bluetooth, there need a Makeblock Bluetooth Dongle. as computer built-in Bluetooth may not be well compatible with robot.
With Bluetooth module plugged in, phone App woks, that means the Bluetooth/2.4G module slot is working. So with a good 2.4G module, it should be working. Weird.
Could we get remote control of your PC so as to check the issue together?

OK, I guess I need to buy one of these dongles then- where can I get one?
The only ones I can find online are from RobotShop Inc. either on their site or on Amazon, which is $9 in shipping for a $15 dongle. Are they sold by any other stores that might be in my area where I could pick one up without having to pay so much for shipping?

Hi,
Where are located? Search a local distributor here:
https://www.makeblock.com/purchase
Then check if they have Bluetooth Dongle.
By the way, Bluetooth dongle should work in pair with Bluetooth module.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.