Flogging the Topic : Mac OS X Sierra CRASH and mBot Ranger Kit

I followed along in the instructions including, from the menu option, installing the Arduino Driver.

Unfortunately, upon connecting the USB cable my machine Kernel Panic’d which showed the OSX version of the BSoD.

I carefully removed anything remotely similar to a serial driver leaving only the usbserial.kext that appears to have been installed by the menu option. Though, this was not the file naming that I was lead to believe from the various documents I had read.

Afterwards, I removed the usbserial.kext which kept the computer from crashing each time the USB was connected. And, as far as I can tell, I now have no usb-to-serial drivers installed. Yet, the port remains within the Connect->Serial Port Menu (/dev/tty.MakeblockELETSPP) . Even more bizarre, it appears to connect!

Attempting to return to Connect->Reset Default Program or Connect-> Upgrade Firmware meets with an ‘Upload Failed’ message.

The ironic thing is that I’m able to double click on an Auriga block with a change of the LED’s to red/255 and a read of CPU temperature. So, it is somehow communicating even though I’ve supposedly removed all serial device drivers.

When listing the USB details from OSX Sierra 12.1 System Information, I am given :

USB2.0-Serial:

Product ID: 0x7523
Vendor ID: 0x1a86
Version: 2.54
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Location ID: 0x14100000 / 6
Current Available (mA): 500
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

This is pretty much the using the default drivers for OSX as far as I can tell from reading various posts. A Broadcom USB Serial Driver.

If the system partially works by default in OSX 12.1 Sierra, what is preventing it from working completely? Why must we install another driver that in my case didn’t work at all? Moreover, I bought the osx-ch341 driver from https://www.mac-usb-serial.com/ and it did not appear to work either!

I hope that the success of the products will cause software bulletproofing to be an admirable future focus. No point in bringing out new hardware if programming it is not simple. And, I hope that it can work with standard Apple Hardware.

Long story short:

I cannot update to default programs.
I cannot update firmware.

Connecting mBot by USB causes MacOS Sierra to crash
mBot ranger - not able to load program from mBlock

Hi Libertyrooper,

As for the crash issue on Mac OS sierra, please see the document in this link: http://www.mblock.cc/posts/run-makeblock-ch340-ch341-on-mac-os-sierra

This still failed. I installed on another computer running Lion and all appears to work fine there. Not sure what is going on on the Sierra machine. I took out every serial including the appleftdi .

Odd, because I’m on Sierra and I’m using the “beta” driver mentioned in the blog post with the mBot. I’ll try to get around to unboxing my Ranger this week and see what happens there.

I rebuilt the computer from scratch. Something, somewhere, was causing a conflict. It now appears to work.