Connecting mBot by USB causes MacOS Sierra to crash

Dear Forum,

Hope someone can help.

Trying to update an mBot firmware, but struggling massively.

Downloaded and installed mBlock v3.4.5 for OSX, and have installed on a Mac Mini running MacOS Sierra.

Initially, trying to connect, the only port listed under serial was a Bluetooth adapter.

So, installed the Arduino drivers using the mBlock menu bar option.

Restarted the Mac as requested, and logged back in.

Started mBlock, all ok, and a ‘makeblock’ serial port (I think ) listed in the connections but under serial port.

Plugged in the mBot (powered on) and within 2-5 seconds mouse freezes then MacOS crashes, causing the Mac Mini to reboot and load to an error page.

If I try connecting mBot with the power switch off, all good but cannot update firmware.

So basically, can’t do anything.

Any ideas ?

Andy

? on how to connect the mBot using USB on Mac
Programs don't run

What you are seeing is related to the USB driver. Apple changed some things in the USB stack that causes a crash with the earlier version of the CH341 driver. Do you have this beta driver installed or the REPLEO driver from mac-usb-serial?

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the reply, and from the MacOS crash reports, that’s kind of where I had gotten to.

Found this page, hidden away, as well

Which kind of makes you wonder why it’s not on the forum or linked to from the main downloads page (or something). It is pretty obscure for a mBlock written article.

More worrying is that this was written a few months ago, and there’s no fix as yet,

Haven’t tried any of these solutions yet, but will give it a go in a few days.

Thanks again.

Andy

Hi @XDAndy,

I’m using the beta driver on Sierra with no problems. I had experienced the ones you are talking about, but the beta cleared it up for me. @tec_support, this may be one for you.

I am also using the beta version of the USB port, sometime it is showing errors, but sometime not, if you have faced the problem till now, you may check here Canon printer technical support for the solutions.