mBot ranger - not able to load program from mBlock

Just got the new mBot Ranger and having a lot of difficulty with the software. I can not upload from the USB cable to the Ranger. I’ve put mBlock into the arduino mode, and loaded the USB drivers. It just keep saying the upload has failed. I’ve tried all the boards listed, but especially the mBot. I’ve tried it on a PC and Mac, but the PC seems easier. Any suggestions?

Also, I’ve not been able to get the Ranger to work with my iPhone, but it will work with an android phone. Any way to get it to work with an iPhone?

Need help!

Thanks!

What operating system are you using on your computer?

On the window computer I’m using Windows 7. On the mac computers I have tried it on both El Capitan and Yosemite, downloading the drivers and installing as instructed.

Hi Lizm,

Please see this link: http://learn.makeblock.com/ranger/

For upload file issue on PC, did you choose the Board as Auriga, choose correct Serial port and then Upgrade Firmware for the Ranger first?

Thanks for the info. I am now trying to connect on my Mac with Yosemite. I have gotten the ranger to connect via the USB, but it will not upload because I do not have the Auriga board in my version of mBlock.

Here is what I have.

Thanks in advance!

I got the correct board by download the beta version of mBlock, but I still need to connect via bluetooth. I am on my macbook pro with yosemite and it will not connect. That would be very helpful. Help???

Thank you in advance

Connecting with Bluetooth on the Mac is two-step process.

1. Pair the device via the Bluetooth preferences. Mine shows up as Makeblock.
  2. If you have successfully paired the device, it will show a “Not Connected” message. This is normal because pairing only makes the Bluetooth serial port available for use.
  3. From the mBlock Connect menu, open the Serial Port option and look for /dev.tty.Makeblock-ELETSPP.
  4. Select that device and you should be able to communicate with the robot.

Be advised that while you can run programs from within mBlock, if you try to compile and upload them you will get a timeout error. To upload programs to the robot for autonomous operation you must be connected with the USB cable.

Thank you for the info. One more problem. My iPhone will not pair with the robot. Is there a fix for this? I’ve tried a number of robots and iPhones. It sees MakeBlock, but will not pair. Just tries and then drops the connection.

Thanks again,
Liz

Hi @lizm,

I can connect with the mBot (all I have available right now) from the mBot app on my iPhone. I think it handles the connection for me. I’ll try the Makeblock program tomorrow.

One thing that I noticed is that you have to have the default program loaded for it to do anything. I took the precaution of upgrading the firmware followed by resetting the default program and it worked fine for me. Not sure if that helps or not though.

I am still not getting the Ranger to hook up with my iPhone or Bluetooth on my mac. I will try again soon.

Hallo, I am having the same problem with Lizm. I followed exactly the same as tech support. Select Board mBot Ranger (Auriga), then Connect->Serial Port->COM 4, then Upgrade Firmware.

Do I need to install any package or frame work for this software. My OS is window 7 but I disable some services that I do not use offen.

Thank you

Following is the error!

e configuration file is “C:\Program Files\mBlock\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\etc\avrdude.conf”

Using Port                    : COM4
         Using Programmer              : wiring
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200

avrdude.exe: wiring_open(): releasing DTR/RTS
avrdude.exe: wiring_open(): asserting DTR/RTS
avrdude.exe: Send: . [1b] . [01] . [00] . [01] . [0e] . [01] . [14]
avrdude.exe: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude.exe: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude.exe: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

There is a driver for the Mac (link), but I’m unaware that Windows needs one. Make sure you are selecting the correct COM port, but short of seeing your setup it’s tough to debug. I can successfully connect to the mBot Ranger with macOS, Windows 10, Android, and iOS devices.

The error message indicates that the underlying Arduino environment is not connecting to the Auriga board and thus cannot connect to the avrdude onboard programmer. You might also want to try a different USB cable if you have one.

NOTE: You cannot upload programs via Bluetooth or USB, you have to use the USB cable to do so.

Oh I actually got a new laptop and it is Window 7 Enterprise and solved all problem with firmware. Thanks chuckmcknight!!!