Robotic Arm kit

Hey.

I really love what you do and this hardware is really impressive!
However, it could be really nice to have kind of robotic arm kit (with 3-4 dof).
I’ve check a bit and I think it could be possible using only the avalaible Mackeblock part.
This could be very cool, because robotic arms are quite difficult to do, and show it how easy it is with Mackeclok
will convince people!
Did anyone already attempt to do such robotic arm?

I’ve done a few attempts - you can see my 2dof scara tryout in the showcase section.

I had a 3dof servo based arm earlier, but the servos were too hard to control precisely. Stepper control for the scara bot was quite smooth, but without good gearboxing on the steppers (and me being too lazy to hook up encoders on the gearboxed motors) the resolution was too course to continue for now. Mechanically makeblock is very very capable - nearly no wiggleroom on all the axes with the included bearings!

When the new gears come out I shall try again :slight_smile: (or if I can scavenge a few rotary-encoders from some old printers…)

Or maybe Makeblock wants to make a rotary-encoder part?

The rotary-encoder part is in our future products list. And use Makeblock to built a robotic arm is really cool. Looking forward for your further work.
Cheers!

Hi, adebeir, I built two types of robotic arm. The first one has 2 DC motors to drive the arm, and I use timing belt to reduce the rotate speed. However, the angel and position can’t be control precisely.

The second one had 3 servos and 1 stepper motor. However, the servo would shake while the load of arm is too heavy.:frowning:

I thought gear drive is a good way to restrain the shake.

What about the stepper motor? Does it have sufficient torque to drive the robot?

That’s the problem. The torque of the stepper motor is too small. If I use the servo, the loading capacity of this structure is more than 300g. But it would vibrate while the servo stop running.