New shapes

Hello all,

I am sure this has been brought up before, but just in case, I will ask…

Have you considered spherical shapes and curved mechanical pieces yet? I saw a episode of TEDtalks: Robotics, where a robot stood on a “bowling ball” controlled by motors angled to drive the ball to move the robot. The robot had balancing sensors to keep it upright. Very cool. Most robots I see are all right angles and straight lines, which I understand is easier for production. I was curious if you know what I am talking about. I realize this could be expensive to manufacture. I think this would bring many new options to designers.

PS- I am a long time fan of this hobby and brand new builder, but I just wanted to see what you guys think. At this time, my contributions can only be in the form of ideas verses technical suggestions.

Thank you,

-Christopher
Dallas, TX, USA

Hi @Christopher_Ame

I have found the video what you talked about

It’s not difficult to get the prototype of this kind of robot. We are going to launch the MPU6050. It could achieve this kind of function.

Maybe I can got a weekend and try to make one. Then I will upload my code.

Finally, thanks for your suggestion. I am agree with you that the most important thing is to make the idea to a real project. And we can learn something and get fun from this process.