Mars Rover

It would be fantastic if you created a Mars rover. It doesn’t have to be advanced, but having the ability to use solar energy for power and a camera for remote guidance seems pretty cool to me.

In fact, Im trying to build something like that…And you can make it by yourself. To start, find a way to connect a raspberry (that already has a camera) to your robot (I’ve already done that), from that point, you can even go and play around with software like simplecv, so your robot could be a little smarter and dont need you controlling it all the time (I think mars rovers function this way, with a lot of AI algorithms). For the solar cell part, Im not really good at hardware…so if you have ideas share them with us.

You can check the advances on my project (that is just starting right now) at itsallaboutcuriosity.wordpress.com

The Pi needs at least 500mA at 5v and this unit might work as a cheap solar charger/battery

The charge rate would require more charge time than running time so the bot would “sleep” after the battery runs out each night.
I haven’t tried it so don’t be upset if it doesn’t quite have enough juice.
A better option would be charging at ~3Ah and enough battery capacity to last overnight at a draw of 1.8Ah (~12h at 1.8Ah = 21.6Ah battery)
You can get these bits from http://www.goalzero.com/ but at a much higher price.
I’d love to see the progress of your efforts.
Dan

Creating a Mars rover with solar power capabilities is indeed an exciting prospect. Solar energy can efficiently power such rovers, enabling prolonged exploration and reducing reliance on traditional energy sources. Incorporating a camera for remote guidance enhances its functionality, allowing scientists to remotely navigate and explore the Martian terrain with ease. This sustainable approach aligns with our commitment to environmental consciousness and long-term planetary exploration.

For those interested in the broader application of solar power, especially within the United States, this article on “Solar Power in the United States” provides valuable insights into the current state of solar energy adoption and its impact on the nation’s energy landscape. Link: Solar Power in the United States. The advancements in Mars rover technology and solar power here on Earth demonstrate our ongoing efforts to harness clean energy for innovative and sustainable exploration.

Thanks for the info @isabellaava! The post sounds a bit like AI, so just remember when using AI to assist you with posting that you put a disclaimer (e.g., This post was AI assisted! at the top or bottom of your post) and verify the facts.
Thanks! :slight_smile: