Is it possible to make a Raspberry Pi Pico device for makeblock?

@sk8board Pico may need a firmware or mircopython library of some sort. I don’t know.

As in the in my previous post, you would add them in the firmware settings section. You can always ask my mBlock AI (mblock.zapier.app) as well (it may lie to you.) I’ll try to do some research and see what I can find next week. Good luck!

I found here that MicroPython is used in Upload Mode and Python 3 is used in Live Mode. I suspect a special binary file is needed on the Pico to support Python 3 in Live Mode. Would you be able to verify?

I reviewed this tutorial to create an Arduino device and noticed in step 12 of the tutorial requires to configure middleware as Arduino and select driver stk500V1. I suspect there is specific middleware code in makeblock for Arduino. Does Pico require specific middleware code in makeblock? If not, how do I configure middleware for a Pico?

I appreciate your help,

@sk8board I’m not sure how to go about that. :confused: Sorry, I’m so busy right now. Let me try to get back to you on this later this week. Thanks for your patience!

Please take your time, as there is no rush. I appreciate your help.

Also, I downloaded my Pico .mext file for testing, but Makeblock would not import it. When I drag the .mext file into Makeblock nothing happens. Is there a troubleshooting guide for this problem?

@sk8board Did you open the file location in Windows Explorer App and drag it straight from there, or did you search and drag the result from the Desktop or Search Results?

I discovered the reason makeblock would not accept the .mext file is because I was using the Web version. The Windows version will import the .mext file.

I am able to connect to the Pico but upload gets stuck at the screenshot below. I suspect this is because makeblock needs middleware to support the Pico.

I see. @sk8board Thanks for the info.
Also, just so you know, I believe it is .mext and not .ment unless there has been an update. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I found here 1 that MicroPython is used in Upload Mode and Python 3 is used in Live Mode. I suspect a special binary file is needed on the Pico to support Python 3 in Live Mode. Would you be able to verify?

I reviewed this tutorial to create an Arduino device and noticed in step 12 of the tutorial requires to configure middleware as Arduino and select driver stk500V1. I suspect there is specific middleware code in makeblock for Arduino. Does Pico require specific middleware code in makeblock? If not, how do I configure middleware for a Pico?

I appreciate your help,

@Best_codes Were you able to get any information regarding these questions?

@sk8board Sorry about that! I almost forgot, as I was a bit busy. (Feel free to mention me as often as you like, though, in case I forget).
I couldn’t find much info. I’m not sure what it would take to make a Pi Pico device for mBlock, but I don’t think it would be that easy because a Pi is more like a computer than a development board.

This is an automated AI response. Verify information.

@sk8board Certainly! Let’s dive into your questions:

1. MicroPython on Raspberry Pi Pico:

• MicroPython is indeed used on the Raspberry Pi Pico. It’s a full implementation of the Python 3 programming language that runs directly on embedded hardware like the Pico. You get an interactive prompt (the REPL) to execute commands via USB Serial, and it includes modules for accessing low-level chip-specific hardware⁴.
    • There’s no need for a special binary file to support Python 3 in live mode. MicroPython itself provides Python 3 functionality on the Pico.
  2. Middleware for Raspberry Pi Pico:

• Unlike Arduino, which often requires specific middleware for various boards, the Raspberry Pi Pico doesn’t have a dedicated middleware like “Makeblock” for Arduino.
    • Instead, you can use MicroPython directly to program the Pico. It’s a trimmed-down implementation of Python and is nearly perfect for Pico programming. The Pico port of MicroPython also includes additional modules for accessing Pico-specific hardware⁵.
    • To configure middleware for the Pico, you don’t need any special Makeblock middleware. Simply follow the MicroPython setup instructions for the Pico, and you’ll be able to write and run your code directly on the board.

Feel free to explore MicroPython on your Raspberry Pi Pico, and happy coding!

(1) Raspberry Pi Documentation - MicroPython. https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/microcontrollers/micropython.html.
(2) Your First Steps with Raspberry Pi Pico and Visual Studio Code. https://dev.to/blues/your-first-steps-with-raspberry-pi-pico-and-visual-studio-code-4jbd.
(3) GitHub - ldarren/pico-mw-mgr: A pico sized middleware manager. https://github.com/ldarren/pico-mw-mgr.
(4) Serial Connection between Raspberry Pi and Raspberry Pico. https://medium.com/geekculture/serial-connection-between-raspberry-pi-and-raspberry-pico-d6c0ba97c7dc.
(5) Raspberry Pi Documentation - Raspberry Pi Pico and Pico W. https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/microcontrollers/raspberry-pi-pico.html.
(6) Programming Raspberry Pi Pico with VS Code and MicroPython. https://randomnerdtutorials.com/raspberry-pi-pico-vs-code-micropython/.

a Pi is more like a computer than a development board.

I believe you are thinking of a Raspberry Pi which is more like a computer. A Raspberry Pi Pico is a microcontroller development board, just like the CyberPi uses an ESP32 microcontroller.

I noticed the CyberPi uses a custom upload driver, which I believe Makeblock created.

As well as CyberPi uses Codey middleware.

I am able to connect, but not upload. I believe the reason I am not able to upload is that Makeblock needs to make a driver and middleware to support Pico like they did for ESP32 (CyberPi).

@Best_codes , do you work for Makeblock? Are you able to directly verify with Makeblock if a custom driver and middleware is needed for a Raspberry Pi Pico?

@sk8board I don’t work for makeblock. Based on my experience with Pi and Pi Pico, I’m not sure if it’s possible with mBlock.

@tech_support @indream @makeblock @makeblock_product

Could you help determine if a Device Extension for a Raspberry Pi Pico can be created without custom middleware or a custom driver by MakeBlock to support a Raspberry Pi Pico?

Thank you,

I recommend contacting support via email or a makeblock personal via discord. @sk8board I’m not sure if I can help with this topic. :confused: Sorry.
support@makeblock.com