Upload of Sketch to Ranger not working

I’m trying to upload a test program to Ranger, but there is always a timeout happening. This is the error message within mBlock (v 3.4.10):

Port                    : COM3
     Using Programmer              : wiring
     Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

avrdude done. Thank you.

I work actually on Windows 8 but I tried as well on Mac with the same result. I do have the right driver for the CH340G Chip, I tried different USB cables … but nothing helped. And there is actually no further peripherie module connected to the Auriga board.

The transmission of interactive commands out of mBlock is working fine via the USB interface.

Now I don’t know what to do. Can anybody help?

This is probably a reach, but do you have the Ranger turned on? That sort of timeout message normally indicates a communication error where one side is supposed to be pitching and the other catching. :-/

I found this link on StackOverflow as a starting point.

@tec_support, any ideas?

Hi Norbert,

Are the Bluetooth module and LED RGB panel also removed from the Auriga board?

Do you have the other makeblock main board which you can do the upload test with mBlock software?

Btw, you mentioned that “The transmission of interactive commands out of mBlock is working fine via the USB interface”, do you mean run the mBlock program online, the Auriga board works fine?
If yes, could you please run the online program again, than take a video to record your operation and the behaves on the Auriga board? Thanks!

Besides, please help check if the system led (D13) on the Auriga board works by following steps:

1. Connect the USB cable to Auriga board.
  2. Notice for several minutes and see if the small blue LED keep flashing

Hi,

yes, the Bluetooth module is removed as well.

No, unfortunatly I do not have another Makeblock mainboard.
By the way on my Mac I do program a NodeMCU module (as well with the CH340 chip for USB) via the Arduino IDE and that works fine. That’s why I tried first my Mac before I switched to my Windows 8 computer. But, as I said, both showed the same behavior.

With “the transmission of interactive commands out of mBlock is working fine via the USB interface” I meant, that, if I use commands in mBlock and run that within mBlock - the Ranger connected via USB - than the commands are executed by the board. When I then want to download the Software to the mainboard, it failed. Unfortunatly it’s not possible to upload the video here.

The test, you asked for, the board is only plugged in via USB. As you see on my picture, it’s only the power LED on, no other.

The blue LED beside the power LED is blinking a couple of times, when I connect from mBlock to the Board, or the downloading procedure starts to download the software. Then it stops and the timeout occurs.

Of course, the switch is on position “ON”.

In addition, there is a little video for the interactive part.

Kind regards,
Norbert

Hi Norbert,

I don’t see the video.
While, from the picture, I found this board is Me Orion board instead of Me Auriga board for Ranger. (For the orion board, it’s normal that there is a blue LED (L) near to the PWR flash when connect it to PC with USB cable)

I think your robot is not ranger, so you may have chosen the wrong board mBot Ranger (Auriga). Actually, you need choose the Starter/Ultimate (Orion).

Here is an instruction to guide upload an example program to Orion board with mBlock software to you for reference.
3. How can I upload my program to the Orion board with mBlock 3.4.x.docx.zip (590.0 KB)

Thanks, now it’s working!

Then I was totally wrong - I was totally convinced that I have bought the Makeblock Ranger …

Regards,
Norbert

Haha, glad to hear it works now!