Orion board not connecting to my compluter

Hello,

I must start by saying, once more, anything related to programming of your kits is far from being beginer friendly.

1. I have downloaded and installed the drivers
  2. restarted my computer
  3. chose the orion board
  4. pressed reset on board (got blue light)
  5. still canot connect the board to my computer

thanks for your help

Hi Cubiccarbon.

What is the system of your PC?
If it is Windows PC, you can see the serial port for the Orion board under the Device manager when the Orion board connected to PC with USB cable?
Is there a COM port corresponding to USB-SERIAL CH340?

If there is, cand you see this port under serial port option on mBlock software?

Anyway, here I attach a instruction to guide upgrade firmware for Orion board.4. How to upgrade firmware for Orion Board.docx.zip (439.0 KB)

Thanks for the reply, its a Windows PC and no i can’t see the USB-serial.

Regards,

Hi Cubiccarbon.

Please install the Arduino driver on your PC first throguh the mBlock software:

Once still the same issue, you may change the usb cable or USB port have a try.

I have just built my IR starter kit robot and it works fine with the IR remote. The problem is when I try to use the programming. Even with a simple program I get “upload failed-please remove the bluetooth module”. I connect through port 3 (the only one available) and the green connect light is lit but as soon as I click “upload to arduino” the lights change back to red, the program starts writing but stops again and the error message appears.
I know this is a standard error message and could relate to any problem but I have checked everything and reinstalled the program. Any ideas please?

More info. I am using windows 10 and my mblock is version 3.4.11

Hi Brian1,

Is there anything plugged into the Port 5 of the Me Orion board? And was the buzzer on the Orion board turned off?

Please kindly temporarily remove all the electronic modules from the Orion board and upload the program again refer to the steps in this document have a try.3. How can I upload my program to the Orion board with mBlock 3.4.x.docx.zip (590.0 KB)

If still the same problem, please also change a USB port or USB cable have a check!

Hi again. Nothing plugged in to port 5. Buzzer is turned off.
I tried uploading the program as you suggested. Still not working.
Then I tried a new USB cable and changed USB ports.
Finally uploaded a basic program which worked although when I tried to run it it just tried to turn the motor and stopped.
I reloaded the default starter program then tried to upload the small program I wrote but it would not upload again and I got the same error message.
During this procedure the default com port has somehow changed from Com3 to com6.

This is the screenshot after the error message was displayed.

Hi Brian1,

During your test, have you tried remove all the electronic modules from all the ports of the Me Orion board?

Besides, did the previous COM3 and the later COM6 both corresponding to USB-Serial-CH340 showing under Device Manager-> Ports (COM & LPT)?

Btw, do you have another Computer to test?

Hi again.
I tried removing electronic modules as you asked.
Ports (COM & LPT) were the same as Com 3 and Com 6 as described.
I have just tried another computer(on windows 10 again) and I now have it working although I have one minor problem.
When I install the starter program to use the IR remote everything works as it should but when I upload any other program the M1 motor for some reason goes the opposite way to the programmed data.
At the moment all I have to do is remember to set the M1 motor to a negative speed to go forward and vice versa.
The main thing is that I can now do some programming and I can try to debug the M1 motor problem later.
Thank you for all your help with this.:grinning:

Hi Brian 1,

Glad to hear it works now.
For the other minor problem. Actually, this is normal since the left motor and right motor on Starter are mirror installed. For example, move forward is the positive direction for the left motor, while for the right motor, move backward is the positive direction.
Due to the default program has been special processed, there is no such phenomenon to control with IR remote control with default program.
When you program it by yourself on mBlock software, you need consider the mirror installation. For example, if you program the robot to make it keep running forward and backward, you can write the following program: