mBot factory settings

Hello,
Could someone please post a firmware file or an mBlock or Aduino IDE project to restore the mBot to its default settings allowing it to be controlled by the IR Remote? Some example mBlock projets using the IR Sensor and transmitter would also be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

About the mBlock category

@David_Cohen, kindly download the newest version of Arduino from: www.arduino.cc, then you can upload the examples, here is the routing for : libraries< makeblock< examples< makeblock_Robot_Starter_kit < IR_control

Thank you for your reply Pioneer, but the “IR_control” example does not work with the mBot. The script I am looking for should allow switching with the A,B,C remote buttons from manual mode, to line follower mode and to avoid obstacles mode.

I also have the same request.
After being programmed for mBlock use, mBot cannot be controlled by IR remote any more.
Is there any way to re-program it so that IR remote can control it again?

For example, press D on IR remote can let it avoid obstacles.

Need this file - mBot.ino

It should be here: https://github.com/Makeblock-official/mBot_Firmata/blob/master/firmataMbot/firmataMbot.ino

The mBot FAQ has an answer to this, incl. a link to a fileshare. Even though I must say, it recreates only parts of the software. The sound keys (number block) don’t work. Nevertheless, follow the link.

If your Chinese got a little rusty, don’t give up here! :smile:
There is an icon which suggests “download”. I had to retry this button more than once to have success.

Then, you’ll find different files in the zip.

• The Arduino IDE, which you’ll need to program the mBot. (for Windows! I downloaded a newer one from arduino.cc)
  • A video which explains how to do the trick.
  • The driver for the mBot (for Windows)
  • A makeblock directory, which you’ll have copy into the arduino IDE libraries’ directory.

The only thing that is annoying for me:
Mode A and C work.
Mode B (collision avoidance) is not working properly. The mBot does not react to the distance sensor, but to the line tracking?! We checked the cables: All connected along the instructions!
I looked into the code, but with my mBot “beginners experience” everything looks good.
Any idea?

I cannot download the .zip from that link. The file finishes downloading after 200kb. Can you rehost the .zip on a US based host?

Thanks!

Same problem here. Mode B and C are working fine, but as soon as I switch to A it stops completely. A working factory reset method would be highly appreciated. The Chinese website indeed only provides a small, broken zip.

Thx!

Can I get the code that you are running? I need it to make my robot run using the IR controller :stuck_out_tongue: @Fabian

Hi,
got this morning some help from the support.
with this new version you are able to klick restore (factory settings)
works fine mode b and c but when you try to move by the arreows only the left arrow works when you hit the other the bot don’t stop anymore!
i think they only missed a line with the stop request but I dont find the right code…

Here is the newest version of mBlock,which includes the function of Reset Default Program, kindly upgrade and feedback us the result, thanks!Windows version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyfz22kucudjdov/mBlock_v2.1.5.0616_win.zip?dl=0Mac version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2uj81wx4b75cuzq/mBlock_v2.1.5.0616_mac.dmg?dl=0

Thanks Aaron!

That is the version I use and (as I wrote yesterday) you perfectly describe the resulting behaviour (Mode B/C are OK, mode A is broken). Looking forward to the bug-fix…

Try this:
turn the bot on
push no a,b,c… button only the left arrow all is finde if you use an other direction it will kepp the bot in a loop for this…

Yes. That is exactly the behaviour I get…

Having the same issue as others. I created a simple program to turn the mBot in a circle, setting m1 to 50% speed and the other at 0%. I uploaded it by right clicking the puzzle piece code block -> upload to Arduino button.

I’ve tried the Serial Port Connected menu -> Reset default program, but only my uploaded program runs, as if it did nothing. I don’t even get the behavior of Aaron or Fabian (in which the IR remote partially works).

Is there any definitive method to restore the mBot to how it arrived?

Downloaded mBlock software yesterday evening, v2.1.5.06.16.001.

The new mBlock should work!
do you push replace old version during install?
Maybe try to uninstall the old mBlock version and use only the new one.
AND only use the reset program button push close and disconnect the mbot. when you now turn it on all works like described.
if you do anything else like update a new scetch you will lost it again!

link doesn’t work. can you refresh the link.

I realize the link that I included currently doesn’t work. It is the link referred to from the mBot FAQ in the Makeblock academy though!
Have you tried the alternative files from Aaron’s post?

Method:

• Downloaded the file from Aaron’s post (Dropbox link). I don’t think it should make any difference as both the version I uninstalled/replaced and the “new” one are both v2.1.5.06.16.001.
  • plugged in mBot via USB (main power off)
  • Connect menu -> COM3
  • Serial Port (Connected) menu -> Restore Default Program (ends with “upload finish 100%”)
  • Unplug
  • Turn on mBot
  • Still just runs the program I uploaded (one wheel turns)

Tried the whole thing over but turning it on after plugging in, an noticed that a new COM port showed up (COM5 instead of COM3). This time it worked. Perhaps the whole time the issue was not understanding if it needed to be on or not? This also wasn’t clear in the instructions, considering the “upgrade firmware” step is before the “insert 4xAA batteries” step (http://mblock.cc/mbot/)?

In any case, I’m a happy camper now and know how to restore the mBot. Mission accomplished and thanks for the assistance/patience :slight_smile:

@Aaron_Ravensdale: Thank you very much! Tried this version, and all is fine. Even function B is working properly now!