Hovercraft mode - can't go backwards via code

I’m using the Airblock in hovercraft mode. I’m struggling to write a basic program. All I want it to do, for now, is go forward and then backwards.

Forwards seems ok but backwards doesn’t work… it seems to go sideways. Have a look at the video and my code in this link. In the third picture I have several controls but all I’m really using is the power button and the button, to try and make it go forward/back.

https://goo.gl/photos/RGMQeHwTAnip6fV7A

The hovercraft works fine when I manually control it - it can go backwards.

I can confirm I am using the latest firmware and iPad software

I got my hovercraft going backwards. The key was to use the Set suspension block. I had to set it to a really high value (i.e. 10,000 or 100,000) for both forward and backward. See this post: Hovercraft mode - what does Set suspension do?

@bcnzer , thank you for posting here. Glad to come across your post here. Learnt from you how to make the “code” appear by clicking the block.

Yesterday & today, I played with the Airblock in Hovercraft mode, but I was unable to manual control it to move backwards. Even with the code, it was impossible to make the Airblock backwards.

All other direction movement were ok.

@tec_support, what could be the reason that I was unable to make the it move backwards?

Thank you.

@IvanHoe Checkout my blog post. I managed to get everything working in hovercraft mode https://liftcodeplay.com/2017/06/28/makeblock-airblock-hovercraft-dance-project/

Thanks, I read your blog before I posted here.

As said earlier, but I was unable to manually control it (using the official project’s joy stick like control) to move backwards.

Even with code, I still can’t get the Airblock to move backwards.

@tec_support, hopefully you can advise further.

@IvanHoe Sorry, didn’t read your message properly.

If you can’t get it to move backwards in code or manually I would first check that the fans are setup properly, so they’re pointed in the right direction. Essentially the two on each need the landing feet (what be pointing down if you were in drone mode) to point inwards to each other (see the manual; my explaination may not make sense). If you could post a picture or video it could help.

Another thing to try, if you haven’t already done so, is to ensure you have the latest firmware. Might not make a difference but worth trying.

@bcnzer No prob. Airblock latest firmware version update done.

All propellers are in correct direction. The Airblock can move forward, turn left & right but it is unable to move backward.

@IvanHoe do you have an Apple device - iPad or iPhone? I read somewhere else that there were problems with the Android version of their software.

Looking at your video, I can see two of the propellors are in the wrong direction. If you were to follow the green LED lines to to the propellors - those are the two I mean. Flip them the other way around.

If you’re not sure what I mean, have a look at this blog post. There’s a picture showing three different colours. Look closely you’ll see how I have my propellors. https://liftcodeplay.com/2017/07/01/makeblock-airblock-tilt-and-led-project/

@bcnzer, big heartful thanks to you : )

Yes you were right, I flipped these 2 propellers > Airblock moves backward smoothly now (by manual mode).
Have not tried coding it yet. Wanted to film the success of moving backward (thanks to you) but phone memory is low. Will film it soon.

Hi IvanHoe,

Glad to hear it works.

@bcnzer, Great job!
Do you mind if I list your blog post into Airblock use case scenario example from users on the forum in order to share it with more users?

@tec_support sure thing you can link to it

@bcnzer, thanks Ben once again Airblock now moves backwards.

*i should have read the manual and even the back of the package shows the correct orientation of the fans : )

@IvanHoe very glad to hear it is working for you! The Airblock is a lot of fun in hovercraft mode