Can't restore ir functionality

hi everyone,
I have the starter robot kit ir version (robot tank) and it has been brilliant I have managed to code the Me ultrasonic sensor to solve a maze and have loved controlling the bot with the remote using the default program. Seeing as everything was going so well, I decided to add the robotic arm. I assembled and wired the robotic arm without difficulty but as soon as I did nothing worked! Neither of the three motors work and when I took the robotic arm off the situation was the same.
please help because at the moment my tank is just a paper weight.
Thank you!

Hello,

A Little more information would be helpful. Remove all of the external parts connected to the ports: sensors, motors, etc. When you turn your mBot on does it beep and do the lights flash like in a normal start-up? Does the power light come on? Are there any lights on at all?

Hi Ethan1,

Which three motors do you mean. Normally, there are two motors for the robotic arm. The one for controlling the arm and the one inside the gripper.

Does the Starter robot still work when control the IR remote controller with factory default program?
If yes, please refer to this post to write the program for the robot arm have a try.

hello Mr Bill,

The robot starts up and all lights come on. I have removed the robotic arm and reset default program. However when I use the remote, the IR receiver flashes indicating that it is receiving input however the robotic tank does not move.

Hi tec_support,
sorry for the wrong information I meant that all four motors were not working including those on the robotic arm and the original robot tank.

Hi Ethan1,

In this case, I suspect the battery can’t provide enough power to the robot any more.
May I know what’s kind of battery do you use? Could you please change the battery have a try?
According to our test and research, it is suggested to use rechargeable Li-ion battery or rechargeable nickel-metal hydride, nickel-cadmium which can be bought from amazon or local shop. Or Alkaline battery with good quality like Energizer, DURACELL.

Hi tec_support,
sorry for taking so long to reply. I have changed the batteries to rechargeable energisers and tried the motors again, but to no avail! I have tested each motor individually, by just connecting a battery to each end of the wires, and all of them work. So from this I know that there is no problem with the batteries or the motors.

Thank you for your help so far, do you have any other suggestions for my problem?

Ethan 1

Hi Ethan1,

Since you mentioned that the Starter doesn’t move with default program now even you removed the arm, let’s temporarily we bypass the robotic arm and check the starter robot itself first follow the steps below:

1. Please upgrade firmware for the starter, then please test the following program and see if the motors on starter works according to the program.
    Please note: Make sure the power switch is pulled to ON while testing.
  2. If the motor still doesn’t rotate, please kindly check if the two wires for the motor have been inserted to the yellow terminal properly (make sure each metallic lines in the black wire and white wire are touching to the metallic part inside the yellow terminal ) .
    You may try loose the screw, then re plug the black wire and white wire to the yellow terminal, and screw them tightly again.
  3. Please double check the two yellow interfaces on the Orion board too, make sure the two yellow interfaces are working properly.

hi tec support,
i tried to upgrade the firmware and I got a message reading: “upload failed: please remove bluetooth module.” There is no bluetooth module connected to the robot as far as I am aware only an ir receiver.

sorry I meant that the firmware upload worked but when i tried to upload a motor test then the popped up.

Hi Ethan1,

The error message “upload failed: please remove bluetooth module” is just a common error message, It also appears when there is other cause.

Temporarily, please remove all the other electronic moudules connected to Orion board (just leave the motors, then upload the program have a try.

Once there is still error , we’d like to have a remote access to check the problem. Could you let us know your skype account? My skype account is 1021306172@qq.com and we are available from 9:00~18:30 on working day, China time.