Why is my program not uploading to the starter robot kit?

I just got the starter robot kit BT version and when I try to upload a program it doesn’t “read” all the way. Then I get a message saying that there was a problem connecting to the board. This only recently started happening, when I first got the robot it was working, now it’s not.

I really don’t want to have to send the robot back. Please help!
Thanks,
PuppyDogNate

Hi Nate,

What operating system are you using?
If you are using MacOS Sierra, have you upgraded to the current driver?
What version of mBlock?
If you recently upgraded mBlock, did you upgrade the firmware via the Connect menu after connecting?
Have you tried a different USB cable?

Regards,

Chuck

Hi PuppyDogNate,

Please also temporarily remove the Bluetooth module from the Starter robot while you upload a program to the robot.
If it still doesn’t work, please upgrade firmware for starter first, then reset default program have a check. Here are the instructions with detailed steps. Make sure you operated it correctly.4. How to upgrade firmware for starter.docx.zip (1.1 MB)
2. How to reset default program for starter with mBlock.docx.zip (1.0 MB)
If it functions ok after tried above, then please upload a simple program for starter refer to this instruction have a check.How can I upload my mBlock program to the Orion Board.zip (198.4 KB)

Once still the same issue, kindly feedback the details as Charles requested.

unplug or remove entirely?

Also, in the instructions for upgrading the firmware it refers to a PC. I am using a Mac book Air.

I’m using osx yosemite
Tried multiple USBs

Hi Nate,

I mean disconnected the Bluetooth module from the Orion board.
Actually, the instruction I sent are for both the Windows and Mac, you may check the note in the last part. The steps on Mac book Air should be almost same.

Besides, recently we published the mBlock 3.4.2, you may install the latest version mBlock have a trry either.

Once still the error message, could you please kindly take a picture for the error message.

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 2.23s

avrdude: 4470 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against /var/folders/8f/11tyxdxs263d9r96np2vyhbw0000gp/T/build9998f923a6353373d24cceca2c684660.tmp/project_Untitled11_5.ino.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file /var/folders/8f/11tyxdxs263d9r96np2vyhbw0000gp/T/build9998f923a6353373d24cceca2c684660.tmp/project_Untitled11_5.ino.hex:
avrdude: input file /var/folders/8f/11tyxdxs263d9r96np2vyhbw0000gp/T/build9998f923a6353373d24cceca2c684660.tmp/project_Untitled11_5.ino.hex contains 4470 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ####avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

That’s what the error says. The image was too big to upload. Also, when I went to download the makeblock update it took me to a page saying that the site had malware on it.

Hi Puppy,

Did you tried disconnecting the Bluetooth module, then upgrade firmware and upload the program?

As for the malware warning, please don’t worry about it. It is totally safe, you may change the web browser or upgrade browser have a try. Besides, our engineers are working on this and will publish a certificate for mBlock afterwards. Please download and install the latest mBlock 3.4.3 in this link.

This is the error message when I try to upgrade firmware. Buzzer is off, BT module disconnected.

responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

Hi Puppy,

Do you know how to use Arduino software?
If yes, please try uploading this test program (blink) for the Orion board.

If no, please refer to this link to install and use the Arduino software: http://learn.makeblock.com/en/learning-arduino-programming/
When you upload the example program, please choose the correct Board and serial port under Tools.

Btw, do you have any other PC which can test?

It’s Fixed!

What made it work?? I have the same issue you had.