Upgraded XY plotter - 6W laser

I don’t mind you posting to GitHub at all, and I’m happy to see people getting use out of it. :slight_smile: Regarding the G92 reset zero command, there’s a solid chance that the original code didn’t handle that, as I tried pretty hard to keep all the existing functionality.

I might have broken it with my messing around.

I was also wondering whether you thought it would be worthwhile to implement some kind of acceleration for G01 moves to improve accuracy at higher speeds. Maybe you don’t care because lasers need to move slower than pens. In any case I was thinking that implementing two separate acceleration coefficients, one for the X and one for the Y axis steppers would help with the jitter I’m getting at higher speeds.

Do you think that’s the right approach, to control the acceleration of the actual motors rather than the carriage as a whole.

Thanks,
Charlie

Yes, most things I’ve seen treat each axis somewhat independently. For example, if you were drawing a large square, you’d need to slow down for each corner because you’re stopping one axis and starting another. That said, the axis aren’t independent of each other, so you figure out which axis will be subject to the highest acceleration, limit it however you decide, and coordinate the other axis to match.

You can also just think of it in terms of momentum - How sharp a turn are you making? Sharper turns or higher speeds mean higher acceleration.

Look at the way Grbl does its path planning and you’ll get an idea of how complicated it actually is. :slight_smile:

Hi!
I just bought the 6W laser and I am going to try and keep the current low to maximize the life of the laser. I am following this protocol: https://www.vicious1.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/MPCNC-laser-add-on-walk-through-Rev2.0.pdf. I am at the point of using a test load with diodes and a ceramic resistor, does it matter how many diodes I use? And if anyone has done this test load with the NUBM44 6W laser, could you show me how you did it and what current you set for running this laser?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

an upgraded Makeblock plotter with 3.5W laser…

Hi Jason,

I’m using the “Standard” 0.5W Laser module together with my plotter.

After some minor changes in GCodeParser.ino (instead of makeblock.h and servo.h only include board-specific includefile in my case MeOrion.h) my XY-Plotter runs REALLY fast… Thank you for this great job!

The problem I have now is: The direction of x-axis has changed… Can you please help me with an advice?

Greetings from DE and please excuse my weak English!

Hanni.