Unrecognizable Firmware

I just got an Orion based starter Bluetooth robot kit. I built it all and powered it on. It looked like it should work perfectly. So I followed the instructions and paired it with my iPad mini and the MakebotBot app. When it connects a notification pops up and says “Unrecognisable Firmware, You can try to connect other devices or update the firmware” But there is no place to update the firmware. And I can’t do anything with the robot. It even says it is up to date with version 2.8.1. Please Help!

Hi Eburf12,

The mBot App is only for mBot robot, it doesn’t work with Starter robot.
Please download the latest version Makeblock App.

I’m sorry I didn’t know there was more than one app, I thought mbot was short form for Makeblock. I currently have the Makeblock app and the problem still persists. @tec_support

Hi Eburf12,

Have you connected the Me Bluetooth module to Port 5 on Orion board?
If it is correct, please upgrade firmware for your starter refer to this instruction have a try.4. How to upgrade firmware for Orion Board.docx.zip (439.0 KB)

I tried port 5 for the Bluetooth module and it is still saying “Unrecognisable firmware, you can try to connect other devices or update the firmware” I’ve also tried everything you instructed me to do for the update process but the notification is still appearing and the robot is uncontrollable. @tec_support

Hi Eburf12,

You use the Makeblock 2.8.1 or Makeblock 2.8.5? Please make sure you are using the latest version 2.8.5.

Besides, please make sure the App is connected to the correct Bluetooth signal from Starter. Normally, there is a Blue LED keep slow flashing on the Bluetooth module, after it connected to the APP, the blue led will keep solid on. Please check this either.

Just in case, you may change the battery for the starter either. According to our test and research, it is suggested to use rechargeable Li-ion battery or rechargeable nickel-metal hydride, nickel-cadmium which can be bought from amazon or local shop. Or Alkaline battery with good quality like Energizer, DURACELL.

Once still the same thing, please kindly take a video to show the steps while you upgrade firmware for the starter and the process you connect its Bluetooth to the Makeblock App, which may help locate the issue.

I reset the robot to default then I updated it and it works. But sometimes the unrecognisable notification still pops up, but all I do to fix it is re-update it. Thank you for all the support @tec_support .

Hi @tec_support I am having the same issue described here. The Starter Kit worked for a while via the iPad app but then my son connected the board to a laptop via USB (doing nothing with it) and since then the board stopped working.

I upgraded the firmware as described in the doc you linked (with mBlock 3.4.4 for Mac) and I can get it to work only as long as I keep the USB cable connected. If I disconnect the USB cable all the leds on the board start blinking like crazy and the iPad app loses connection. After that the BT module is not anymore seen by the iPad (and the LEDs keep blinking).

How to debug? Thanks

Forgot to say that I am using the iPad app v2.8.1 as there is no v2.8.5 available in store.

turned out to be the batteries being low on charge :blush:

Hi,

i have the same problem!!!

i also have a Starter Robot Kit (Bluetooth Version), some month ago i connected to the Robot, but the
Connection get lost all the time. I tried to connect to the robot now again the last days, but i could not
manage it again. Weather from an android or ios device.

i installed the makeblock app again, i installed the new mblock software 3.44 and ried to update the
firmware as you described here

“…connected the Me Bluetooth module to Port 5 on Orion board?
If it is correct, please upgrade firmware for your starter refer to this instruction have a try.4. How to upgrade firmware for Orion Board.docx.zip…”

I can now connect to the robot but when i try to start the app, i get the message “unrecognized firmware, try
to connect to a different device”

Please need help to start the robot again.

thx

alexander

Hi Team,

Please reset default program for the starter with mBlock 3.4.4 have a check. 2. How to reset default program for starter with mBlock.docx.zip (1.2 MB)

Once still the same thing, please kindly take a video to show your operations either.

i tried all, but nothing works, still getting error unrecognizeable Firmware.
Im using mac book with win 10, the startet kit has an orion board

a. what is the latest firmware
b.where to place the firmware
c. how can i add the firmware with arduino ide

please need help

Hi Team,

To control the Starter with Makeblock APP, I’d suggest that you reset its default program. Both reset default program and upgrade firmware can be down with mBlock software.
For the latest program or firmware, you can keep using the latest version mBlock, then reset default program or upgrade firmware for it with mBlock software directly.

Since mBlock 3.4.5 is released, I’d suggest you reset default program for it with mBlock 3.4.5 again have a try.
Besides, make sure you are using the latest version Makeblock APP either.
Once still the same error, please kindly Take a video to show your steps for reset default program and the process when connect the Bluetooth on Makeblock APP.

Hi all,
I recently also tested the starter kit. The power supply has a big impact to the bluetooth stability. When the kit is powered only by cells (using the 6 cell’s box provided in the kit), it seems not sufficient and the bluetooth disconnect randomly. If the USB cable is keep connected, the bluetooth is more stable since the board is better powered. The good solution is to use for example a 12V@9600mAH li-on battery available on amazon or an external 12V@2A power supply.

I’ve been doing everything Makeblock has explained about upgrading the firmware. I’ve done this 10 plus times. I bought a new Orion board and it on my starter bot. I’ve been able to drive it using the joystick but the the buttons to operate the gripper and raise and lower the arms works sometimes. I have added servos and a camera to the bot. When I first got the starter kit I was able to add to the program in design mode on the Makeblock app and go right back to program and run the bot. I had tried and Ipad also and ran into the same thing. I even went out an bought a new android table. I could go on but it seems my final solution is to right the program and reboot my android tablet this seems to work for now.

This bot is very important to me. I am disabled and plan to use it to help me pickup things and bring them to me as needed. I am an engineer and use to programming machines etc. and have not seen the problems I’ve gone though with this bot. I really like the makeblock products and hope there are better solutions in the future.

Hi aludovici,

Thanks for sharing your experience on using this robot.
So the robot works now with your new android table?

It does work but I have to restart the tablet every time I want to use the bot. If I do any programing changes I also need to restart the tablet. I’m not sure why but when I first got the starter bot I had no problems and it worked great I’m not sure what happen. Even with a new Orion board and tablet it still has to restart every time.

What’s the model of your Android tablet?