Ultimate 2.0 Bluetooth Disconnect after running either wheel motor

I have a recent Ultimate 2.0 kit and built the basic gripper arm robot. I also have the most recent version of the app on my android phone. It worked great. Then I tried a few basic programs and loaded and tested those successfully. Now I want to restore the default software so I can demo for a friend (grandson). I have successfully reset the firmware and reset the default program several times. Batteries are newly charged. When I load the app and it synchronizes successfully I can clamp and unclamp or raise and lower as long as I want. But when I move the robot in any direction the Bluetooth immediately disconnects. Any ideas? Thanks!

Gary

Hi gmeyer1357,

What’s kind of batteries do you use? Since you mentioned that they are newly charged battery, they are rechargeable lithium battery?

Since from the situation you mentioned, I still suspect if the battery discharge enough power stably? If you have the other battery have a try or do you have a good quality power adapter (12V/2A) have a check.

Very good suggestion! I tried brand new non-rechargeable Alkaline batteries (like I initially used when it worked fine) and see exactly the same behavior. But I agree with you that a power problem sounds like it could be causing this issue. I will buy a power adapter and see if that helps although that would suck to have to have a power cord attached to the robot at all times. I wonder if I have a faulty motor?

Gary

Hi gmeyer1357

If you were using non-rechargeable battery before.
I may suggest that you buy rechargeable lithium battery (7.4V is ok) from amazon or local shop have a try since it won’t be convenient to control the robot with power cord connected to a power adapter.

To test if the motors on the Ultimate wheels work or not. You can test it with a mBlock program:

1. Upgrade firmware for Ultimate 2.0 first refer to this instruction.How to Upgrade Firmware for MegaPi.zip (252.4 KB)

2. Then test the following example program:

OK, I am going to try some other batteries and the adapter power and will let you know. Thanks for the sample code. But I know all three motors run. My concern is that one of them may be causing a battery drain spike when starting up which causes the Bluetooth disconnect. I don’t have the necessary electronic test equipment to measure that. I will continue to research this perplexing problem.

Gary

I bought top of the line 1.6 V chargeable batteries and this extended the time the Bluetooth stayed connected from 20 seconds to 40 seconds. Today I used a plug in adapter and now the bot never loses Bluetooth connectivity, so it is definitely a power issue. Unfortunately I don’t have the correct test equipment to measure the actual drain from each motor, but this bot definitely does not like batteries. Attaching a power cord is definitely a bummer but I can still use it to play with some programming as long as I stay away from using the big motors. Let me know if mBlock ever makes some better motors available that can work with batteries. Thanks!

Gary

Hi gmeyer1357,

Do you use 6 X rechargeable battery(1.6V for each battery)?
Normally, it works with the suggested batteries. Here we use such kind of battery bought in China for testing and the Bluetooth connection works stable.

Yes, 1.6 v for each battery. I will just keep the bot tethered until someone finds a good battery. Let me know if you find a reliable source for your 7.4 v Chinese battery with a compatible charger and I will give it a try. Thanks for your help.