The mBot library for the Arduino

Hello,

I bought an mBot for my bright 11 year-old grandson, who wants to program it using the graphical method in mBlock v3.3-1. We are using a Macintosh with Yosemite as the OS. I downloaded a library folder from GitHub named MakeBlock_master, changed the name to MakeBlock, and installed in the Arduino/Libraries folders, as is normal.

But whenever we attempt to compile and upload, we get many compiler messages about missing include files. So perhaps the name of the library is supposed to be something else, but I haven’t found anything saying that. If anyone can tell me how to install this library, I’d be much obliged.

By the description you’ve given it sound like you maybe attempting to open the Arduino IDE and not mBlock, however I could be wring. The link below will open the mBlock download and installation page, I hope it helps. By the way you’ve got one lucky grandson.

www.mblock.cc

Sorry for the typo errors, bad vision

Here’s another link you should find very useful.
I also suggest you download both of the PDFs at the bottom of the page their very useful and geared to kids of all ages.

learn.makeblock.com/en/getting-started-programming-with-mblock

The mBlock download comes with the Arduino IDE and all of the libraries installed. You will need to install the USB driver (see this thread) before you can connect to the mBot. From there, you will need to connect via the USB cable (Connect->Serial Port->/dev/tty.wchusbserial410 on my machine), and immediately upgrade the firmware (Conect->Upgrade Firmware) because the version on the mBot may be older than the current version of mBlock (and it does make a difference). From that point, you should be able to create Scratch programs using the blocks from the Robot palette. For standalone programs, you need to start the program with the mBot Program block. If you want to run the robot over the air, you’ll need to connect via the WiFi dongle (Connect->2.4g Serial) or through the Bluetooth module (Pair through the Bluetooth choices, then Connect->Serial->/dev/tty.Makeblock-ELETSPP).

Whenever you are connecting to the mBot whether over the air or via USB cable, you should see a message in the title bar that lets you know that you are connected. If you are interested, I’ve written a short eBook on standalone robotics that uses all Scratch-based programs (link) and I’m working on the second volume that introduces using the Arduino IDE to program the mBot (should be published next Spring).

Best regards,

Chuck

there is no library it should just work

best regards,

fuzzy

Well, actually the library is the one at Github (link). This the underlying Arduino source for all of the Makeblock boards (mCore, Orion, Auriga, MegaPi). However, it comes preinstalled in the Arduino IDE associated with mBlock. :slight_smile: