Starter kit- IR version: no control after upgrade firmware

Hello,

THE FACTS: I bought and assembled a starter kit (IR version, Orion board) and was able to control it using the remote. I then installed the mBlock software and connected the starter kit via usb (on Mac/El Capitan). I also installed Arduino software & the driver and was able to connect the kit to Arduino (usb port- Arduino/Genuino Uno board).

THE PROBLEM: After I pressed “upgrade firmware” in mBlock, I was not able to control the kit anymore. I also could not get any reaction using mBlock. The kit has power (the LEDS of all components are working when switched on).

I downloaded Mblock Library v.322 from GitHub and tried to upload it with Arduino (I tried both: paste file in Documents/arduino… and add zip.library via the Arduino menu). No success. Arduino says “Invalid library found in…”.

Could anybody help me? I am really new to makeblock and programming. Thanks.

I did the same thing. I downloaded the Arduino software from their site https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software and installed the libraries from Makeblock. http://wiki.makeblock.cc/index.php?title=Library_Download
Don’t use the mblock program

Hello,
I have the mBot and mBlock software v3.2.2 for PC. I wrote a small Scratch program which I uploaded via USB (Serial Port COM5 in my case). I pressed the button . My program did run but the Default program did not run any more: pressing the remote buttons did not have any effect.

I checked that the remote send out signal pulses with the camera on my phone. OK
I wrote a noddy program to give beeps when remote buttons were pressed (If IR remote A pressed, play tone on note E2) Uploaded this program and it worked. So, if there is a program that listens to the remote, the remote will have effect. My conclusion was that the default program was not running.

In the mBlock software there is a menu <Connect -> Reset Default Program> and this uploaded the Default program back onto the mBot. Pressing remote B runs a line-following routine and pressing remote C runs a collision-avoidance routine. Next thing I am going to do is find the sources for the Default program and combine the linefinder and collision avoidance routines in a new program that does both.

I am a beginner with Arduino and Makeblock so I am not familiar with uploading from the Arduino Environment. mBlock works OK for me.

Correction: remote button [B] runs the collision avoidance and © runs the line-following routine. Pressing (A) sets the robot into manual control: operate it with the arrow buttons.

Yes @HiMans, only one program at a time. As soon as you upload a new program, it replaces the default.

So you must combine all into one, however the program space is limited. Eventually you will hit a wall.

Working from Arduino is easy, different menus, but same functions, attach to com port, select board type and verify/upload.
It even has ‘insert library’ commands.

However, you are free to make coding mistakes which the compiler will flag and not upload until fixed.

Hi every body!!
I have same situation I can not recovery, I using Arduino software, Any one have complete file to download to my starter kit?

Best Regards

I had the exact same problem with my Starter Kit (IR Version) that I received a few weeks ago. I have a solution to fix it so if anyone is still having this problem, I can provide either a video or detailed response in this forum on how to resolve this issue. I use a Macbook Pro and I am on the most updated software for mac, so my tutorial will be for mac users only but the process is very similar for windows. If anyone would like me to create a walkthrough to restore the original IR functionality to the starter kit robot kindly reply to this post.

Plz help I have the same problem

Hi Amandin,

Please refer to following steps to reset default program for Starter robot with mBlock:
Step 1. Please keep the buzzer be turned off, show as the following picture:

Step 2. Reset default program via mBlock, as follows:

1. Download the latest mBlcok software(v3.3.1) in this link and decompress it: http://learn.makeblock.com/software/
  2. Power off the Starter robot and connect it to PC with USB cable:
  3. Install the mBlock software and open it, then choose the Me Orion under Board:
  4. Choose the correct Serial port of Starter Robot under Connect -> Serial Port: (Here my Starter Robot’s serial port is COM4, and you can check your Starter Robot serial port under your computer’s Device Manager->Ports (COM&LPT))

5. Then choose the factory program for your device by going to Connect->Reset Default Program->Starter IR, then Close when it shows Upload Finish (If your Starter is Bluetooth version, please choose Starter Bluetooth under Connect->Reset Default Program).

Step 3. After reset default program, please pull out the USB cable, power on the device and you can drive it through remote control. (For Bluetooth version, you can drive it with Bluetooth connection through the Makeblock APP)
    Note: Above Steps take windows PC for example, if your PC is Mac, you need pay attention to two points bellow:
  6. Before reset default program, need install a driver for Mac, here is the link to download the driver: http://blog.sengotta.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/CH34x_Install.zip
  7. When choose Serial port under Connect->Serial Port, please choose /dev/tty.wchusbserial1410.

I tried the step by step instructions but the IR Remote still won’t work.The blue light turns on when we press remote button, But nothing else.

Hi Jarjar30,

If you just installed the mBlcok software with version 3.3.1 recently, please upgrade firmware for Starter robot first before you reset default program.

For Upgrade Program for Starter, most of the steps are same with above steps except the step 5 (here you need click on Upgrade Firmware).

Then please reset default program for starter again after successfully upgrade the firmware (it will show upload finish)

Besides, please also change another brand new battery for the starter if it still doesn’t move with IR remote control.
You need keep the power plug is plugged into the Orion Board and Power switch is on when you play it.

For battery: according to our test and research, it is suggested to use Alkaline battery with good quality like Energizer, DURACELL or rechargeable nickel-metal hydride or nickel-cadmium, rechargeable Li-ion battery which can be bought from amazon or local shop.

I’m having the same problem and i just got this thing. (it was working in the morning but when i got home it wouldn’t move)