Ranger Bluetooth not discoverable

Yesterday I received a new mBot Ranger via Massdrop. My daughter put it together, set up the Android app, and used it all quite successfully. Today, however, we cannot get a BT connection.

Specifically, the phone that worked successfully yesterday will not connect to the mBot today. In addition, when attempting to pair any other device (we’ve tried laptop, tablet, and another phone), the device simply does not appear in a BT scan. It’s just not there for discovery.

Physically, everything appears correct. The unit powers up correctly, and the BT module flashes as if it is waiting for a connection.

So far, I have:

1. removed and reseated (several times) the BT module from the Auriga board.
  2. updated the Ranger firmware to the latest version via laptop serial USB connection.
  3. replaced all six batteries with fresh alkaline cells
  4. replaced all six batteries with fresh fully charged NiMH cells
  5. attempted to connect while the unit was powered via USB from the laptop.

In every case the result was the same - the Ranger did not appear for pairing when a BT scan was executed on Google phone, Samsung phone, LG tablet, or HP laptop. The Makeblock android app also did not connect.

Next steps? I’d appreciate any help. Thank you.

Jim Gilliland

Hi Gilliland,

You have really done a lot of things.
Normally, when you connect the mBot Bluetooth to the mobile devices,there is no need to pair it first.
Could you please delete the mBot Bluetooth from your mobile devices’ Bluetooth paired list, then connect with the Makeblock APP directly refer to this document have a try.How to connect mBot Ranger Bluetooth to Makeblock APP.zip (716.4 KB)
Besides, you may open GPS on the mobile devices, then connect mBot ranger bluetooth have a try.

Once the Bluetooth still can’t be connected and can’t be detected in the manual connect list of the Makeblock APP, the Bluetooth module should be faulty and you can contact the re seller for replacement.

Yes, that was among the many tests that we tried. I mentioned it briefly in the last sentence, but I probably should have elaborated. I’ll contact the seller. Thank you.

OK. I’ve contacted the seller (Massdrop) and they inform me that they provide no support for these products. They have no parts. They can’t even offer an exchange because they have no inventory.

Hi Gilliland,

Sorry to hear that! Which Country are you in?
Could you please kindly send the receipt of the mBot Ranger to email address: daisy@makeblock.com?