org.apache.commons.exec.ExecuteException: Process exited with an error: 1

We use mBlock 3.4.11 in an education environment on Windows 10 clients. Students don’t have admin rights.

When upload to arduino we get this message:

C:\Program Files (x86)\mBlock\Arduino\arduino_debug.exe --upload --board arduino:avr:nano:cpu=atmega328 --port COM3 --verbose --preserve-temp-files C:\Users\testuser\AppData\Roaming\com.makeblock.Scratch3.4.11\Local Store\scratchTemp\project_Untitled12119_2\project_Untitled12119_2.ino
Loading configuration…
org.apache.commons.exec.ExecuteException: Process exited with an error: 1 (Exit value: 1)
at org.apache.commons.exec.DefaultExecutor.executeInternal(DefaultExecutor.java:377)
at org.apache.commons.exec.DefaultExecutor.execute(DefaultExecutor.java:160)
at org.apache.commons.exec.DefaultExecutor.execute(DefaultExecutor.java:147)
at processing.app.windows.Platform.getFolderPathFromRegistry(Platform.java:70)
at processing.app.windows.Platform.recoverSettingsFolderPath(Platform.java:55)
at processing.app.windows.Platform.init(Platform.java:50)
at processing.app.Base.guardedMain(Base.java:153)
at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:137)

Read some topic about this. When downloading the latest arduino 1.8.5 and copy that into the mblock folder, then it seems to work. but the edit with arduino ide still not opening arduino. but i’ve installed also arduino and when i start this outside mblock arduino works without problems.

Any idea or tips?

Hi arjanv,

On the students’ computer which have no admin right, it is suggested to install the mBlock on the other path like the *D:* instead of path: C:/Program File

no that doesn’t work either.

Hi arjanv,

Due to there is some bug on arduino 1.8.5, it is not suggested to replace the mBlock integrated arduino 1.6.5 to arduino 1.8.5.

How about try totally uninstall the mBlock software, then install it again to path: D:\Program Files, keep the mBlock integrated arduino software as it is.
Then please upload an program on mBlock software and see if there is still the same error message. If yes, please kindly send the program file to me.

Besides, may I know which Mainboard do you use?
And, does it work properly when you upload the same program on an Computer which has the admin right?

There is no D or other drive on our computers. I’ve tested it on c:\mblock folder, doesn’t work.

Arduino ide is also installed separately and it works fine, but mblock not.
Under an admin acount mblock works.
Maybe some users don’t have write/read permissions on some files/folders?
what are the paths where write/read permissions are needed?

but as i said, strangely when replace the integrated arduino upload starts working, it’s not the program file.

Hi arjanv,

Normally, changing the installation path works in this case.
Since it still doesn’t work, currently there is no other solution, is it possible to give admin right on the student’s computer?

thanks not a solution offcource.

Which paths need write/read permissions?

Hi arjanv,

I have consulted our engineer, the mBlock software itself, there is no path where we can modify the wirte/read permissions.

Since it can uploads when you change the mBlock integrated arduino from 1.6.5 to 1.8.5, you may keep the arduino 1.8.5, as for the issue that option "edit with arduino ide"doesn’t respond, please check if the arduino folder path and the startup file name are all same.