Newbie needing help - please

Got my grandson an mBot kit. Thought I could understand it and help him to learn about programs and robots. Boy was I wrong!
No trouble building the mBot. It works fine with the built-in line following and ultrasonic avoidance.

I was even able to download 3.2.2, and pair it with Bluetooth to my Mac Lion (10.7.5). Could never get anywhere with the USB connection. Firmware update always times out with a “fail.”

But even for the simplest program, such as: begin when the flag is clicked, then move 10 steps, or turn 90 degrees, there is no response from the robot. Lights are on (blue Bluetooth, red power and red on ultrasonic board.

How do I get the robot to move, or respond to what is on the monitor?

I’ve been at this for hours, and am about to give up!

Thanks,

seekr

You might want to try this version of the driver (link) to get the USB cable working. You’ll need to upgrade the firmware (and I usually reset the default program just to be sure). The driver seems to work well with Yosemite and El Capitan (and may work with earlier versions without having to go through disabling kernel settings. I’m not sure whether or not it will work with Lion, but it might be worth a try.

Thanks for your reply Chuck. Unfortunately, your answer was a little beyond my level of knowledge! Never had to install a driver for Mac before, not sure how to do it. Also, I’d like to update the firmware - if it needs it, not sure how to check that either. I’d prefer not to reset the default program, b/c my grandson enjoys being able to control the robot with the remote, including line following and ultrasonic object avoidance. And if I monkey with that, and still can’t download any new programs, I might as well toss the device.

I have a PC, may try it on that. But grandson has a Mac, as I do, and would prefer to go that route. Do you know of any basic “quick start” instructions anywhere? Although I can connect with Bluetooth, that still doesn’t seem to transfer anything to the 'bot.

Very frustrating experience, so far!

Thanks again.

OK - now I did it!

Went to the PC. Downloaded driver. Updated firmware. Connected USB. Tried a small program to move the robot. Nothing. Lights flashing on mBot, nothing moves or works.

Disconnected USB. Turned mBot switch off, then on.
Now it won’t respond to the remote in any way. Tried reset. Tried button on board.

Nothing!

Can anyone offer some ideas - for a newbie, please.

Thanks

The steps to install the driver are pretty simple:

1. Download CH341_Install.zip
  2. Open a Finder window and go to where you downloaded CH341_Install.zip (mine goes to a directory named Downloads in my Home directory).
  3. Double-click the file to unzip it.
  4. In the Finder window, you should see a file named CH341_Install.pkg.
  5. Double-click that file (it’s the installer).
  6. Follow the prompts to install the driver.
  7. Rebooting is generally a good idea after installing drivers to ensure they are loaded into the kernel of the OS.

Hope that helps. If that doesn’t work, you can uninstall the driver by deleting the usbserial.kext directory in the /Library/Extensions directory.

I believe that the wrong board is likely selected, which is prohibiting you from updating the firmware. This is not obvious and is poorly documented.

Its likely that you have a device that uses the Uno board. Try selecting this from the board drop down, then establish the connection, then upgrade the firmware.

Good point, although mBlock 3.2.2 has the mBot board under the Boards menu. @seekr, have you clicked the Boards menu and ensured that the mBot board is selected? Every install I’ve done of mBlock seems to detect the right board, but I guess a situation could arise where there is a miss.

Hi eveyone,

I am hoping someone can help me. I am not as tech savy as I fear I need to be. I bought an Mbot from Radio Shack. I have successfully assembled the rover but cannot figure out how to program it via Mac running on OSX El Capitan. I am regretting this purchase due to a lack readily available and understandable programming instructions. Thanks for any insight.

1. You will need to download and install the USB driver (link). If you are planning to upgrade to Sierra, you will need to download and install this driver (link).
  2. Connect the mBot to the computer with the USB cable. Note that you cannot update the firmware, reset the default program, or upload programs over the air.
  3. Launch mBlock and go to the Connect Menu->Serial Port and select the /dev/tty.wchusbserial4xx port (mine says /dev/tty.wchusbserial410).
  4. Upgrade the firmware to match your version of mBlock (Connect->Upgrade Firmware).

I published a short ebook that you may or may not find helpful (link). It’s focus is on programming the mBot using mBlock and the proceeds from the book go to helping kids to buy kits, etc. to learn robotics.

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your help. Is it possible to Skype or G-chat? I would gladly buy your book, if I could get to the point of actually programming the mBot.
Please let me know if you Gmail. I would be grateful with an old fashioned over-the-phone chat.
If none of those is feasible, could you at least confirm the name of the driver I need and if it is something I purchase?
I am writing you from St. Louis, Missouri. Thanks for considering.

Tim

Hi @tbakes,

The drivers listed are free, they just need to be downloaded and installed. The driver name will have CH34x in the .pkg name. Another source is http://mac-usb-serial.com. This site sells a signed driver, but you may have to create a symbolic link to the directory to make it work with mBlock. Apparently the name is too long for mBlock (or something like that). There is a thread discussing a way to work around the issue.

I’m on the West Coast, but I’m generally tied up from about 5:30AM until well after 10:00PM most days (work and family activities). I’m happy to try to troubleshoot the issue as best possible via email, but it’s really difficult to find an open spot to Skype.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.