New starter robot, Obstacle avoidance mode not working

Hi all, first post here.
I have just put together the starter robot and other than having to swap the motor wires around to get direction correct with IR remote all went well with build.
BUT
When I switch to Ultrasonic obstacle avoidance mode the robot just starts moving backwards and obscuring the sensor makes no difference. Really want to get it working as factory before I start coding on it. I have seen where there are threads suggesting upgrading firmware however I don’t want to start changing things if there is an issue and maybe make things worse.
Any suggestions gratefully received!

Hi and welcome!

Generally speaking, it is a good idea to install the latest version of mBlock (I use 3.4.11) and upgrade the firmware immediately followed by installing the default program. That usually fixes a lot of odd behaviors.

@chuckmcknight

Hi Martin,

Here is an instruction to guide reset default program for the Starter robot to you for reference.

Besides, if you can manual control the robot properly with the IR controller, but the obstacle avoidance mode still doesn’t work, please make sure you have connected the Ultrasonic sensor to the correct port on Orion board properly. Here is also an instruction to check if the Ultrasonic sensor works properly or not.16. The example program to test if the Ultrasonic module is working properly.docx.zip (20.4 KB)

Also, here is a FAQ list for starter to you for reference.

Thanks. That got me going. Modifying the base code in arduino now and looking forward to pairing up with a Pi and more modules.