Neuron All-in-one Kit - first impressions

What can you do with it? Besides learning software coding this kit allows you to apply programming concepts in various project contexts like designing your own robot or monitoring the health of your plants. There is even a motor pump and tubing supplied to water the plant if the soil moisture is too low. I enjoyed playing with the kit and even better got my son to assemble simple circuits within seconds. We had a great time exploring and playing with it.
One interesting aspect is that hardware modules are reflected as virtual modules in the App software on either a Android Tablet or iPad. You can play with the modules linked together without the software or add extra functions or extra virtual modules when using the software. IoT support is also there and it works.
I tested the Lego compatibility and for most modules this is ok but there is little mechanical support for a chain of Neuron modules. One problem was that while the camera module could be supported via its magnetic plate to a Neuron Board and then with pins to Mindstorm Lego modules the USB cable gets in the way and the camera is not stable. Extra support modules are needed. The pin spacing on the Neuron Board does not match Lego’s base plate but this can be remedied with extra Lego beams. While you can build robots with this kit you wont win races.
The kit could be excellent as an introduction to coding for very young kids, people with disabilities and seniors who have never tried this before.
The main current problem is that the software support is non-existent from Makeblock and you have to guess what the modules do. There are no programming examples on-line nor any explanation of what the software modules are supposed to do.
Despite that I managed to create many program for all modules after trial and error. I have many years of experience in software and hardware development so it was easy for me but it could difficult for novices. For me all hardware modules worked except for the Voice Recognition module. I tested my software on both an Android Table and iPad. It crashed the iPad 4 times so there are still many bugs with this first version. The Android Tablet performed better. The programs I created included robot control with line follower, ultrasonic detector and speed control. The data flow program gets messy when the program get bigger than one screen and if there is lots of logic. There are few software primitaves so you can develop really comlex programs. Manual states that mBlock should work with it but it does not yet - hope that is fixed.
IoT control from a remote computer on the Internet worked well but I would like finer granularity for individual virtual devices not just a whole control panel screen. This would allow the software to be remotely controlled via say a node-red program for interesting IoT demos.
Will it be opened sourced? I would recommend that it should be.
Is the product ready for market? No - it is pre-mature and needs extra work done on the software support to make it reliable and really useful. When that happens it should be a great product and potentially much better than the competitive LittleBits Electronics as Neuron software has full software integration with the hardware modules.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your feedback! It’s really thoughtful and valuable.
We are working on the programming examples ! Now you can find an ever-updating software menu here , and programs will follow examples shortly after.

About the crash issue as well as other feedback issue in your email, we have provided to our engineers. They are already looking on them. May I know the version of your iPad as well as the iOS Version?

As for the suggestion on IoT part, we have already provided feedback to our product manager, hopefully,we will keep making improvement on it.

Neuron is not yet to be launched in the market. We’d like to invite you to join in us via http://store.makeblock.com/en . You could submit on the bottom of our page and get the first news of the launch.
Yes,we are working hard on it to make neuron become more reliable and useful. Great thanks for all your suggestion again and look forward to your more opinions.

Hi,

I also believe that the IOS version is limited (no variable). However, it’s probably getting better. I managed to do a lot of thing that I plan to make available because makeblock did not make much of an example.

I hope to be able to use mBlock on PC. With this software, no limit.
I’m of the same opinion, it remains to improve before the release but I am not disappointed with the material product. Very good product, I love it.