Motors not working. HELP!

Hi ! I’m using 6 rechargeable batteries. Four of them have been used without an issue on my mBot. I’ve also tried a USB-cable with a power adapter, but it didn’t help.
After removing the tracks and the wheel, the motors started moving a little bit (with the program that you provided). One moment, one of the motors even seemed to work fine. But then they both stopped again.
I only have one Ranger, so it’s not possible to exchange parts, to see if the problem is with the controller, the cables or the motors.
Any other suggestions ? Thanks !

Hi noelvd,

May I know your Skype account? We’d like to have a video chat to check on this issue in detail.
My skype account is 1021306172@qq.com and we are available from 9:00~12:00 & 13:30~18:30 on working day, China time. Kindly let me know your available time, thanks!

Hi tec_support,

I really appreciate that you are trying to help me. Alas, I am not available during office-hours on working days, so a video chat is not option.
However, if pictures would help, I can take a few, and email them to you.
Best regards,
Noel

Hi noelvd,

In this case, please try following tests and take the videos to show your operation and the behaves on the motors.

1. Fully charge the batteries and power on the ranger. (turn the power button on).
  2. Connect Ranger to PC with USB cable and upgrade firmware for Ranger refer to this instruction.How to Upgrade Firmware for Ranger with mBlock 3.4.x.docx.zip (358.5 KB)
  3. Test each motor, each slot with following steps:
    a. connect one motor (here we call motor A) to slot 1 on Auriga, keep the other motor (here we call motor B) disconnected. Then run the following program and see if the motor A shaft rotates:
    b. Connect motor A to slot 2, run the following program and see if the motor A shaft rotates:
    c. disconnect the motor A, connect motor B to slot 1, then slot 2 and test it by the same way have a check.

Btw, you mentioned that you also tried a USB-cable with a power adapter, may I know the volt and current spec of this power adapter? Does it power on the robot via the USB cable connection or via the power interface on Auriga.

Thanks again for your support.

I think we’re on the right track :grin:
Following your advise, I managed to get the motors running. I have put them back on the ranger, and put the wheels back on, and everything still seems to be fine.

However, once I put the tracks on, the motors hardly move, or not at all. I’ve checked, and made sure, that the other wheels (those without motor) are running freely, and not blocking the tracks.

I’m now thinking that the problem could be with the power. I will buy other batteries (non-rechargeable), and see if that helps.

By the way, the USB-cable that I tried is a 5V, 2A version, with a USB connection to the Auriga.

Hi noelvd,

From the description, the issue should be on the power.
But I don’t think non rechargeable battery is suitable since Ranger is a robot which needs high power during its operation so that it consume the power in the battery easily.

I suggest that you buy rechargeable Li-ion battery with good quality. Usually, we use the 7.4v rechargeable lithium battery. According to the spec of ranger, 7.4v~12v (the maximum voltage does not exceed 12v) rechargeable lithium battery are all okay.

Besides, the 5V, 2A power provided by USB cable connection is not enough for Ranger. If use the external power adapter, normally, 12V/2A should be okay.

Thanks for the advise !

Do you have any link on where I can find such a battery, that has the right size/voltage/connections/… ?

We always test the robot with this kind battery , but it was bought from manufacturer in China.

You can search for similar battery on Amazon or local shop.

I found this one:
https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/9800mAh-12V-Li-on-Akku-Batterie-Wiederaufladbare-Tragbarer-Akku-EU-Stecker-Neu/263282971539?hash=item3d4ce35393:g:0~AAAOSwH-dZ8vNh

Would that work ?

Thanks !

Some batteries with rated voltage 12V may have a maximum discharge voltage higher than 12V which may make damage to the board. To my opinion, I prefer to us battery with rated voltage lower than 12v like 7.4V or 11.1v lithium battery.

We have the same problem with ranger kit.
The modell with track doesnt move. The nervous bird works fine. We are using 6x 1.5V batteries, no LiIo accus etc…
I assume, with tracks the force to the motors is to much…
What can we do?

regards
math

Hi greentux,

If the robot doesn’t move in Off-Road Land Raider. First, please check if you have assembled everything correctly.
Here are some tips for checking.

If everything is assemble properly and the tracks move properly when rotate by hand, you may change the battery once still the issue. It is true that there will be more force to the motors with the track attached, while normally, it works with enough power.

Ok, Thanks will check this. But perhaps ist should be helpful with moving that thread into the ranger forum :slight_smile:

Hi greentux,

Thanks for your suggestion, we will share this instruction on Ranger forum these days.

It works perfect now! thx

Disappointment with mBot Ranger!

I bought for this Christmas a mBot Ranger as a present for my grandson.
We put it together.
This far it is a big disappointment because it does not work.

We installed Makeblock app on a Samsung tablet and tried it.
It looked to Connect through Bluetooth because the blue led STA stopped blinking and became steady blue.
Engines had no response (brand New batteries) sound like beeping was possible. Obviously, there was Connection.
Turning on light was possible but not turning off lights.

I installed the mBlock program on my Windows Surface Pro 2017 with Windows 10 installed and followed the instructions to reset firmware for the card Auriga. I used Serial Connection With usb cable choosing COM 4.
The card on mBot Ranger was blinking and a dialogue Box showed the transfer of information counting up to 100.

I removed the usb cable. Plugged in the cable from the onboard batteries and started the robot. Nothing!
Even connection from the tablet for Bluetooth did not work.
We downloaded the app to both iPhone and iPad: the same problem.

I tried connecting by usb cable repeated times and also tried to update the firmware, reset, set the card in Bluetooth mode.
Nothing Works.

I get Message like:
Bluetooth does not Connect.
In the synchronous mode -> synchronization fails, the firmware cant identify.
Then I am linked to the Internet for a firmware update.

I see on different fora on the Internet that other People seems to have similar problems.
I have tried the recommendations given, but it does not work for us.

On my Windows Surface With win 10: mBlock 3.4.11 ( Windows 7 and up)

On the Samsung Pad MakeBlock v3.1.0 when clicking on “update” it says: « It is updated.»

How to solve this issue or how to make reclamation on this?

Sincerely Yours,
Bjorn Arne Naess
Trondheim Norway

Hi bjoarnae,

Sorry to hear about the problem you meet.

First, let 's start for the problem that you can’t connect to Ranger’s Bluetooth with Makeblock APP.
It looks like you can connect but it says un recognizable firmware. For this problem, I may suspect the default program hasn’t been installed properly.
Could you please temporarily remove all the other electronic modules from the Auriga board and reset default program for the robot again refer to this post.
The only plug in the Bluetooth module, once there is still the same error, we suspect the battery can’t provide enough power for this robot. Please replace brand new batteries or fully charged rechargeable batteries for the robot.
According to our test and research, it is suggested to use rechargeable Li-ion battery or rechargeable nickel-metal hydride, nickel-cadmium which can be bought from amazon or local shop. Or Alkaline battery with good quality like Energizer, DURACELL.

As for the issue that “Turning on light was possible but not turning off lights.”, actually, you need keep pressing the power button for 8~10s to turn off the robot.

If the Bluetooth can be connected but the robot still doesn’t move when control with Makeblock APP, please make sure you have assembled the Ranger correctly refer to this post.

Hello. I am facing some issues with my motor on my ranger. It seams to be not working. At first i thought that it was the battery problem because when i plug it in the lights on the Auriga are not stable and mildly blinking. But than, i connected it via USB and everything works fine, i could turn on the lights, make sound but the motors are still not working. I tried removing the belts and try running the motor, and it still seems not to work. Please Advise.

Jordan.

Hi Jordan,

From your description, it looks like still the power issue.
What’s kind of the batteries do you use. If the power from battery is very low, the motor won’t rotate even connected with USB cable. You can change the suggested rechargeable battery have a try.

Besides, is this the first time you use the Ranger robot, please make sure the robot has the factory default program. You can also reset default program for the Ranger with mBlock software.